StudentsReview :: The Minneapolis College of Art and Design - Extra Detail about the Comment

Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA

Excess Competition
D+
Creativity/ Innovation
A
She cares more about Excess Competition than the average student.
Date: Nov 05 2010
Major: Undecided (This Major's Salary over time)
I'm a sophomore at MCAD and I came into this school with very high hopes. I was intending to be an illustration major and hoping to learn from teachers who actually cared about the students work and helping them to develop their own sensibilities in their art. I soon discovered that MCAD is not the place to go if you want to develop you own style and find unbiased guidance. Most of the faculty members adhere to their own aesthetic and force that aesthetic on others. For example, one of my teachers has a very surreal and cartoonish style when it comes to the figure. She ALWAYS suggests to other students to break away from realistic, ignoring completely the context of the piece. Another teacher threatened me privately with a bad grade when I said I would not buy fourteen dollar paper for an illustration. Then during critique she humiliated me in front of the whole class by telling me that she couldn't give me full marks because of the "cheap" seven dollar paper that I was using. You'd think the faculty would at least give you credit for spending time and putting effort into your projects right? Wrong. I turned in to giant collages that I had spent a total of about thirteen hours on. Everyone in the class liked them and I had put a lot of effort into them. My teacher then proceeded to tell me that they were "flashy" and told me she liked my two inch concept sketch the best. She never gave me any advice or encouragement, just made me feel as if I had wasted my time, money and effort on something I had worked so hard on. Nearly every class I went to I felt more and more discouraged about a career in the arts. The teachers joke about being "starving artists" and comments on how hard it is to get a job in the arts, while this may be true, a good professor would offer support and encouragement, not mock the difficult future you have ahead of you from their lofty, secure and employed position. All in all, I would say keep out of MCAD. The only bright spot in this school is the humanities courses, where the teachers are not jaded and self important, but sincere and helpful. I wanted this school to change my life, I wanted to find help and guidance here, and I wanted to find peers that are supportive and fair. I've only gained a little experience from the projects. I've found that the school is concerned solely with money and looking good, and the students here either put very little effort into their work, kill themselves trying and still pull off little more than a B average, or act like they are gods gift to the arts and strut around like they own the place. I find myself looking to transfer my credits to a school that probably wont accept "Sophomore Seminar" or "Representational Studio" as real credits. I've wasted two years of my life in this place and I plan on getting out now while I still can. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this "school."

commentWelcome to art school. if you can't deal with it then maybe you shouldn't be going there.
commentYep, this review pretty much sums up the art school experience. It's not just MCAD (which is actually better than most). Almost every art school is like this. Good artists are not necessarily good or supportive teachers. They become teachers because making a living just by making art is really hard. This should tell you something. There just aren't very many art jobs out in the world. Even if you have a talent for art, going to art school may not be a good idea—especially if you are looking at loading on debt it will take you decades to pay back.
Compare MCAD/MADSave MCAD/MAD