StudentsReview :: The University of Missouri - Columbia - Extra Detail about the Comment

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

Arrogant, Snooty, Closeminded

SAT2010
Excess Competition
Faculty Accessibility
She cares more about Excess Competition than the average student.
Date: Dec 04 2010
Major: Journalism (This Major's Salary over time)
Almost all of the students here come with their friends from high school, so if you don't know anyone at MU before the year starts then things will be a bit rough in the beginning. All of my friends came with at least three of their best friends, so try and be outgoing and meet new people as soon as possible because no one is really looking to make new friends so you are going to have to do all of the work. An easy way to make friends is to join a sorority or fraternity, but if you don't then you're going to have to work at it.

responseI completely disagree. If that's been your experience here, I'm sorry, but my year has been the exact opposite so far. I'm not in a sorority or anything and I've made friends quite easily here. Granted, I did have about 15 people from my school come to Mizzou, but I rarely (and I do mean rarely) talk to them. My friends are from all over the country, and I meet new people all the time. People here are very outgoing (for the most part) and are very easy to talk to and get to know. Again, just speaking from my own experience, but I had to step out of my element a bit to meet new people instead of hanging out with people from high school. Hope it gets better for you in the future!
questionI just got back from a visit to Mizzou. To be quite honest if I wasn't going into journalism I wouldn't look twice at Mizzou. Being from the Chicago area, I'm afraid of being with all KC, STL kids. Are there other opportunities to work at publications besides the Missourian?
responseI originally went for journalism, but changed to undeclared right after I finished summer welcome, and I'm glad I made that decision, personally. The journalism school is fantastic, but most of the kids in it either hate the program or have absolutely no lives due to the amount of work they have for their majors. I'm from Chicago too, and like I said above, I met a bunch of people from all over the country. Most of my friends that I regularly am around at MU are all from STL or KC. There might be a bit of a culture shock at first, because there are a lot of small differences that add up when you're used to the way things are in Chicago, but the people are generally very nice, and you'll make friends quickly in freshman year. There are many other publications in town as well as the Missourian. There's the Columbia Daily Tribune (I'm not sure how many students they hire, but I'm sure at least several), there's the Maneater, which is the student newspaper, Vox magazine, several online publications, and Newsy as well. I'm sure there are more, but those are all I can think of off the top of my head! Hope that helped, good luck!
Compare UMiss-ColumbiaSave UMiss-Columbia