StudentsReview :: California Lutheran University - Extra Detail about the Comment

University of California -- Berkeley, CA

ACT:30
SAT1890
Safety
A
He cares more about Faculty Accessibility than the average student.
Date: Dec 10 2010
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
Let me start off by saying I transfered to CLU in my sophomore year so this review could be different if I attended from my freshman year on.

Academically, the school is so-so. I haven't had a teacher that really cares about their field or is passionate about teaching. For the most part the classes are easy, but I know I don't do as well as I should because I'm not interested in anything I'm studying. Many of the teachers lack experience in the field they are teaching, so they just teach theory instead of practical information. I've had professors that barely speak English and never learn your name; they just shake their fingers at you to call on you. From the way class is carried out, the teachers are just as bored listening to themselves lecture as the students are. My teachers this semester do not respond to ANY of my emails and fail to communicate things like when class is cancelled or homework due dates are changed.

As far as the Administration goes, I have to reflect the previous sentiments mentioned on this site: terrible. They always find a way to mess things up on tuition, scheduling, or account holds derailing any progress you had going. Nobody is ever on the same page and each department gives conflicting information on the same question. Registering for classes is somewhat akin to the telephone game between the teacher, department heads, counselors, and the registrar's office. Painful to say the least.

Socially, the school is about as lively as an elderly home. The majority of the people are unfriendly on campus; it amazes me how many people I smile at and try to start a conversation with only to receive no response. A lot of the girls think they are perfect 10s when in reality they are 5s and 6s, and are quick to let you know that they are good-looking. The guys are the stereotypical college bros and are pretty thick in the head, just looking to party etc.

All of this aside, I commute and have lived in Westlake/Thousand Oaks for a good majority of my life. The city is beautiful and there are wealthy people everywhere that people need to learn from as they are obviously doing something correctly. However, this isn't your typical college town. The atmoshpere is very laid back and suburban, geared more towards old people than college kids. You have to know where to party (don't do it on campus, that's a bad idea. Be careful with house parties because the cops like to shut them down promptly at 11:30.

If I could repeat this process again, I would never attend CLU.

Compare CLUSave CLU