StudentsReview :: The University of Arizona - Extra Detail about the Comment

Unhelpful

D
Social Life
A-
She cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Date: Dec 16 2010
Major: Communications (This Major's Salary over time)
Other than the very pretty campus, there is not much to recommend this school, especially if you have to pay out-of-state tuition. The classes range from somewhat interesting all the way down to confusing. While most of the classes are more like high school than college, my major, Communications, requires a lower division class that few people can pass. The syllabus for that class makes a note that if you are taking the class for the second time and do not pass…etc., which implies that many people fail more than once (or why would they make that note on their syllabus), and yet, the professor does not know of any tutors, nor does The Think Tank support that major. More than one person in the various offices I've spoken to have complained about the inadequacy of the school's computer system. Each department seems to be completely uninformed about what the other departments support, and a fair number of the administrators who answer the phone have no real idea how to help if it is outside of the small box of information they're familiar with. They sound like they're reading a script when they try to answer questions and often try to pass you off to other departments, although they're not always sure which department to pass you to. The counselors seem put out if you have a question. One counselor snapped at me over the phone when I had a question and said they were too understaffed to have enough help to run that department. I had a TA who, when I said I was lost (this was the class that many people failed - it has a statistics component) said to me, "It's self explanatory." Somehow, she did not seem to understand that if I had a question, it wasn't self-explanatory to me. Extra great on all counts when you think that I pay triple tuition compared to in-state students. This school has a very high drop out rate. I would seriously look for other options before coming here, especially if you have to pay high out-of-state tuition. I went to a community college before coming here - my classes there were far more interesting and creative than the ones I've had here so far.
Compare ARIZONASave ARIZONA