StudentsReview :: Radford University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Helpful, Arrogant

Safety
D+
Creativity/ Innovation
She cares more about Safety than the average student.
Date: Jan 27 2011
Major: Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc (This Major's Salary over time)
Just arrived at Radford University in Fall 2010. I was a transfer student that came in as a junior. Started out as a fashion design major but moved to costume design. One of the first things that surprised me when I came in was that even though I had an associates degree and was considered a junior, I basically had to start off at the beginning because Radford's fashion program makes you do 4 years no matter where you came from and how many years you've done previously. Why? Not all courses are offered year around and even though I had completed all pre-requisites the 4 year rule still applied… it just meant that my last two years would be part-time. Eventually switched to costume design because I wasnt aware they had a program for that (costume design is what I originally aspired to do).

Pros about Radford:

1. There usually is something for eveyone here. They have clubs and activities to keep students busy since this is a very small town (fraternities, sororities, gay rights clubs, african amer. clubs, multi-cultural club…you name it they've got it).

2. Teachers I've met so far have been decent but some students still aren't pass the high school days so they definitely leave all responsiblity to the student.

3. ALWAYS something going on throughout campus. Radford has a movie theater, billiards, gyms, cheap trips through the recreation dept, etc.

4. Financial Aid is pretty good. MUST a apply early otherwise you will get scraps. Financial aid also offered for study abroad.

5. Most apartments near RU are literally across the street and between the price range of $350-800.

6. Plenty of parties and get togethers but it definitely is all in who you know so be friendly and get involved.

7. There is a free transit bus that takes you around campus and into the shopping centers in Radford.

8. Visit the New River Valley Lake and park. You can rent tubes and drift down the river and alot of people like to fish there.

Cons:

1. Radford University isn't very diverse in regards to different races. I think collegeboard.com had it at 85% Caucasion. I found it unfornate that most ethnic groups tend to stick together on campus. All the blacks typically hang out with each other; very rare to see a mixture of people. The people that are from Radford (born and raised) are very southern and you would think stereotypically there'd be some racial tension BUT NO! At least I havent felt any distaste toward me except around other students… but thats rare to hear something derogatory. Once I heard a girl throw out the n-word but people like that I avoided and laughed at.

2. Alot of people here can be kinda of clique-ish but its usually the young ones fresh out of high school!

3. Everyone has a dog here but NO ONE picks up after them.

4. You will definitely need a car here especially if you live off campus. Radford has no public transportation system and walking in some part of Radford is definitely tiresome and (at night) scary.

5. If you live off campus make friends and get involved on campus otherwise you may be lonely. If you live on campus, I heard that unless you have a high GPA you wont be living in the quiet dorms.

6. Get the meal plan. I've been paying $11 per meal on campus when I could've been paying $3.

7. It snows pretty often in the winter (temp can drop down to 15 degrees) and it rains pretty often in the summer.

8. Although the cops in Radford seemed pretty cool so far, I've heard that they get on students about drinking and noise. Radford University is trying to build up its reputation, thats all.

9. I recommend that students get a feel for all the clubs or greek fraternities before joining because I've heard horror stories. Theres a business fraternity that seems to be a favorite that has both men and women of all walks of life. Christian group called CRU which is one of the biggest groups on campus.

Compare RadfordSave Radford