StudentsReview :: California State University - Chico - Extra Detail about the Comment

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

SafetyC
Friendly, Approachable

Friendly

ACT:30
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #009704; line-height:80px';float:left;
SAT1890
Not so bright
Safety
C
A-
She cares more about Safety than the average student.
Date: Feb 02 2011
Major: Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc (This Major's Salary over time)
I initially entered into Chico State hating the idea of going to a school in the middle of nowhere, with seemingly endless parties, and its stereotypical unintelligent "douchebags." I had dreamed of going to Cal Poly SLO and was heartbroken when I did not get in. (My major and budget prevented me from applying to too many schools, and Chico was one of the best options.)

While yes, there are the aforementioned students, no, Chico is not all like that. I know plenty of people who value their education like I do yet still want to make the best of their social lives.

I went to a college prep school, so my non-honors classes in college are relatively easy. I was entered into the Honors Program at Chico based on my grades, and it has proven to be a nice-but-non-overbearing challenge. There are people in my classes that definitely outshine me in the brains department. Plus, being in the Honors Program allows for priority registration so I am able to sign up for classes before the juniors, sophomores, and freshman. It's a great plus, especially with the budget crisis. Speaking of the budget crisis, you can tell it has taken a toll on classes and supplies, but the school and teachers do try their best to give each student the education he or she deserves.

The friends I have made here are ones I will definitely keep for a life time. My roommate and floor mates are my best friends and family; I never had these relationships in high school. One thing you don't want to miss out on, and I can't stress this enough, is the

first year college experience
where you live amongst new friends thrown into the same situation as you.

Chico also has a new master plan renovation where they're revamping all their old buildings and making new additions such as parking, housing, classrooms, aquatics centers, etc. to the campus. It's going to be absolutely beautiful. Gym? The best thing EVER. The surrounding areas of Chico are shabby compared to where I grew up, but definitely livable. The houses close to campus are filled with college partying students and pretty nasty; and yes, there have been some incidents of crime, so do be careful. Other than that, there's the beautiful Bidwell Park where we go for picnics, swims, bike rides, and fun. Downtown is charming and cute with boutiques scattered here and there along with amazing food shops.

Social life? There is plenty. Let's face it. Chico is notorious for being the ultimate party school. However, that used to be in the '70s and '80s during their pioneer days. Now, you can still find parties every weekend, just not the whole

beer bong out the second story dorm window
scenario anymore. Things get crazy on major holiday weekends, and it is awesome. If this scene isn't for you though, there are activities that the school puts on for students. There's movie nights with free popcorn, stand-up comedies, socials, and little things here and there.

Now, I have absolutely fallen in love with the school and could not imagine myself anywhere else. They say everything happens for a reason, and I definitely believe this to be true. After all, it's not the college you go to that matters, but what you do there that counts. Make the best of the four or five… or even six years of college, and they will be fulfilling. I only hope you can be as lucky as I am in finding the college for you.

California State University - Chico