StudentsReview :: The University of Missouri - Kansas City - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Not so bright
University Resource Use
D-
B+
He cares more about University Resource Use than the average student.
Date: Feb 18 2011
Major: Computer Science (This Major's Salary over time)
This place is okay. It has distinct advantages and disadvantages. I transferred here from KU and this school solved pretty much all of the problems of there. The engineering school is a small jewel in this otherwise low-end school. It is small and intimate, and the professors actually care, not just about research, but their students. It isn't that difficult, in fact quite easy for an engineering school, then again I don't feel like I'm learning all that much. This is because professors take their time to teach you, rather than cram everything down your throat all the time like they might at other schools. This is both good and bad for different reasons. Also class sizes are REALLY SMALL, this is good, like the biggest engineering classes I've had have had like 15 people, no joke. Most have like 8 or less.

Don't bother with this place however if you're not in a specialized school like engineering. The liberal arts here are a joke, I mean they are anyway but especially here. You won't learn a thing and I promise you will not be challenged here at all. Look at your classmates and you will see why.

From what I've heard, also stay away from the law school. It is considered quite low-end and you won't be able to get a job as a lawyer with a degree from here.

This school is extremely diverse and has been taken over by the affirmative action black agenda. It is easier to come out as gay than it is to come out conservative here. One of the few non-engineering classes I took here showed me how much viewpoints that aren't extreme left are NOT accepted here. Plus, this school has pretty much turned me into a racist. I was fine with everyone before I came here, and after dealing with tons of incredibly stupid and well downright hateful people and their agenda, I've become less accepting. There is also a huge radical muslim presence here. There are also a ton of Indians and Chinese and they are extremely friendly, actually most of the muslims here are too. However it is mildly annoying when you're in the computer labs and there are 60+ Indians crowding a lab meant for 15 babbling at 100 mph in 20 different languages when you're just trying to get some work done in peace and quiet.

There aren't very many greek people here, but they are just as mean and snooty as anywhere else. I laugh at them when they act like that, and tell them to go to a real college. I've also met some really nice greek people too, however.

There is basically no social life here. Overall people are friendly, but they have their own lives to live separate from college. Many are working full time jobs with wife and kids. They mostly commute from Lee's Summit and Blue Springs, with a few from Johnson County on the KS side (UMKC tuition for KS side suburbs is in-state plus a fee).

This school is okay, but don't bother if you're not from KC area and don't have your own social life because there is none here. Don't bother if you're not going into a specific program that you love because the academics here are as low as the public K-12 school district it's located in. I'm surprised anything here is even accredited to be honest. I'm in a specific program and have my own social life so I'm fine here but the young freshman looking for the typical college experience should look elsewhere.

Compare UMKC/UMiss-Kansas CitySave UMKC/UMiss-Kansas City