StudentsReview :: California State University - Northridge - Extra Detail about the Comment

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful

Useful Schoolwork
Safety
B
She cares more about Useful Schoolwork than the average student.
Date: Feb 21 2011
Major: Other (This Major's Salary over time)
Having gone to CSUN, community college, and now a small liberal arts college, I will say that CSUN was by far the WORST experience for me as a college student.

The university is huge. No one is treated like an individual but as a number. The smallest class I took at CSUN had 30 students, and that was only after about 10 students dropped after the first week. Large class sizes means two things: tons of mindless busywork from professors who don't want to be grading 40 student papers every week, and an environment where deep learning and critical thinking are impossible.

Student life is non-existent unless you live on campus or join a greek. I lived in the dorms for both of my years at CSUN and still didn't feel that there was any real social life. CSUN students are not the greatest people on earth, either. Every other review on this website stating how CSUNers are frustrated UCLA/USC rejects are true; they thought they deserved to get into better schools, and when they didn't they chose to come to CSUN just to get college over with.

I should mention, I've never had problems in Northridge, but the SF Valley is a pretty grim part of the city of LA. Walk around at night at your own risk!

Now let's do a compare and contrast: I'm now attending a small liberal arts college in the "middle of nowhere" (despite the fact that it's an hour away from two major American cities). All of my classes are small, and all of the students are there because they want to LEARN and are passionate about their studies, not because they want a quick degree to get a job. The professors love teaching and are always willing to help the students. This is the complete opposite of what CSUN is, or at least what CSUN was for me.

Do yourself a favor and don't come to this place! If you can't afford a private school, look for scholarships or apply to schools that give really, really good financial aid. There is a win-win situation here and no one should be forced to settle for a school as horrid as this.

responseBut the csun campus looks really good and there is a near by police station for safety
responseLike the two people above my review, I attended this terrible school too. If you think that csun looks good, it's pretty lousy and crummy compared to higher end schools. And the nearby police station? Just because the police are nearby doesn't mean that they will help when you call them for help. The Northridge cops always arrive way too late.
responseOMG, the Northridge cops don't even show up at all when I called for help. Those worthless shits!
responseNorthridge cops didn't show up at all for me either. Thank God I'm transferring out to a real university.
responseYes the valley is a grim place. I wonder what those million dollar homes are doing in the South Valley.You have to wonder why so many rich people live in the Valley. Not saying there arent crappy parts, but the SFV is the suburbs of LA and it has many great parts to it
Compare CSUN/CalState-NorthridgeSave CSUN/CalState-Northridge