StudentsReview :: Hillsdale College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

Hillsdale College

Alumni Survey

Date: Mar 29 2011
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
With Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Ann Coulter, and all of their ilk promoting Hillsdale College with every other breath, I am embarrassed to claim Hillsdale as my alma mater, which it is. What has happened to this school since my graduation in December 1976?

I have been receiving Imprimis since my graduation, and I used to enjoy reading it. During the early years, it generally contained the print version of a CCA presentation, and I always enjoyed CCA while I was at Hillsdale. Now each issue is just another radical Republican, super-conservative rant.

Religion was NOT an overwhelming issue while I was at Hillsdale. We all kept our views to ourselves, and except for one devout Catholic amongst my group, none of us attended church. The students now seem to wear their particular faith—ultra-Christian—on their sleeves.

Those were the early days of George Roche Sr. As an employee at Saga Food Services, I was sent to his house to iron the giant tablecloth for a special dinner that was to be held there. I liked his wife. I had a class with George Roche Jr., who was still in high school at the time, but was simultaneously taking at least that one class at the college.

Kids drank at the frat parties, smoked pot in the Arb. It all seemed rather normal. My favorite prof was Dr. Rice. I argued over my grade with Professor Gilbert. I could never please Dr. King. Not these three profs, nor any of the many others who taught me during my college career, pushed a conservative viewpoint on their students.

What has happened to Hillsdale? Was I oblivious in those years, or has it changed?

response…? Hillsdale is an intellectual beacon now. It is needed more than ever. It is not even "super-conservative"; what you've read and heard is a mere gambit on the college's part, to win much-needed attention. In a sea of American colleges which have degenerated since mid-century, it's probably the lone exception that is far better than it used to be in every way that matters. The value of your degree is soaring as we speak, and you didn't have to do anything. Everything is going great for Hillsdale College. You would trade all that back for a school of lazy, drugged-up beatniks and frat-boys? That's a bit backwards. Roche III wasn't half the president that Arnn is. And, what's worse, you don't even sound like you were happy back then.
Rows=6 cols=34 wrap=virtual