StudentsReview :: Virginia Intermont College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Duke University -- Durham, NC

Virginia Intermont College

Alumni Survey

Date: Apr 03 2011
Major: Education (This Major's Salary over time)
VI was a small women's only college when I attended. Professors were generally good and I was academically successful, graduating cum laude. I studied however. The library was horrible and job placement was non-existent. It took me years to get a teaching position, even with a 3.7 gpa and great recommendations. Food was wonderful then. Bristol was not, absolutely nothing to do there, and when I was there, not even a mall. It was a suitcase school. Everyone left on the weekends. I took other girls home with me who lived far away. The campus was old and not especially pretty although I had a great dorm room (a large private room with private bath). There was no real pride in the school however. I am now embarrassed to tell people I went there because the reputation is so poor. VI has lowered their standards since I graduated. I wish I had gone to another school and should have transferred to a coed state school. I have attended graduate school at UVA and Tech with a 4.0 gpa. I finally had a successful teaching career, spent years as a stay at home mom, and finally returned to a career in education as a mentor to other teachers. Small class size was great at VI and served to promote peer pressure to raise the bar on academic performance. Wish I could be proud that I went there, but I am proud that I did well. Their educaiton dept was tops when I was there.
Compare VICSave VIC