StudentsReview :: Drury University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arrogant, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

Faculty Accessibility
Friendliness
B
She cares more about Faculty Accessibility than the average student.
Date: Apr 29 2011
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
I would like to say that I am very disappointed in Drury University. I am a third year student and was informed that I would have to take a \'cultural diversity requirement\' class in order to get my degree. This, apparently is a new policy that wasn\'t in place when I first applied for admission (within the last 2 years). I asked if I could take a class on Native American culture to satisfy this requirement, but was told that Native American studies did not fall in this category. The only two type of courses that Drury offers to satisfy this requirement is \'minority groups\' and any Arab/Islamic Course. The only class available for me to take was the minority group course. The description of the class reads simply:
Examines the process of adjustment of various ethnic and cultural groups to life in the United States. Some consideration to world ethnic situations. (Meets cultural diversity requirement.)

This is so misleading and I am so upset about what this class actually teaches. It teaches nothing but that absolute hate of the white race. The book that we are required to read is titled

Race and Ethnicity in the United States
, by Richard T. Schaefer. Had I known that the course was about how the white race is the cause of all evil, and how the white race, even today promotes discrimination around the world, I would never have taken this course. This course also teaches that the United States, being mostly white, is racist towards all 'non white' countries and that the United States has sought and is still seeking to dominate countries that are darker and weaker than ours (their words, not mine). I encourage all parents and students who are thinking of going to Drury University to think twice about it. If you want your children to be exposed to the teachings of liberal professors who distort the facts to fit their socialistic agenda, then Drury is the perfect school for you. I am so disappointed in Drury University because I thought it was a conservative, Christian University that taught equality and truth to all races. I didn't expect the total opposite. To teach such a class which promotes and incites racism toward white Americans and white people all over the world is shameful.

Racism is insidious. I know English majors will know what insidious means. Privilege is part and parcel of racism and our English major is so offended that she has to examine racism that the school is bad, very bad for expecting it.

You've got it so bad, I mean being white and all. It's a tough road. I hope you make it, I really do.

responseInsidious is not the word I would have used to describe racism. Racism is hateful and shameful. A true way to reveal that a person is a true racist is for that person to attack the race of another person. You showed your own prejudice when you assumed that I was a white person, and attacked me and the white race. It just so happens that I am Native American and Filipino. That is why I wanted to take a Native American culture class in the first place. Your hatred of the white race is exactly what I experienced in the ethics class I took at Drury. Some people believe that white people are the root of all evil. I personally believe that every race has its good and bad people, and that a person of any race can be a racist. I don't know what race you are and I simply don't care, but based on your own words, I would certainly classify you as a racist. You show an obvious dislike and disdain for the white race. It is surprising to me how many white people there are who attack their own race and like you, believe that white people are the only ones who can be racist. This is what Drury is teaching through the book, Race and Ethnicity in the United States”, by Richard T. Schaefer. I hope more people speak out against this type of teaching because it encourages and promotes hatred of white people. I grew up with alot of people showing blatant prejudism towards my Filipino mother. This prejudism came from people of many races. My mother never showed anger towards anyone, and she taught me and my siblings that there are many people in this world who are bad, but that there are many people who are extremely good. It's not a person's color or race that makes them either good or bad, it's their soul. To teach that an entire race of people is bad is wrong. For Drury to teach its students that white people are responsible for the evils of the world is not only wrong, it's racist.
Drury University