StudentsReview :: Harding University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arrogant, Snooty, Closeminded

ACT:27
Creativity/ Innovation
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
She cares more about Extra Curriculars than the average student.
Date: May 21 2011
Major: Other (This Major's Salary over time)
I feel like I was just trying to get away from home when I chose Harding. About 6 hours from where I live, I didn't care that it was in the middle of nowhere, or that I knew little about it. They offered me about half tuition in scholarships, and that was good enough for me.

I desperately wish I had looked into more schools and actually did my research before coming here. This place is ridiculous. If you have any sort of belief or thought of your own, any sort of individuality, consider yourself alienated from the student body automatically. I left the CoC because I found it too legalistic, and joined a more modern church. I am non-denominational, and when I tell people that when they ask me, they instantly act with disdain towards me. I heard of one girl saying how she was proud of herself for "converting" a Baptist to CoC. So she "converted" a Christian to a Christian?

The student body is filled with hypocrisy. They are VERY judging of things they don't believe is 'right'…premarital sex, interracial relationships, etc… Every person I have met here has had such an ugly personality (especially guys), having the nerve to tell me I need to be more christianly, when they decide to disrespect me, and then 'make up for it' by going to church on sunday and acting righteous for an hour or two.

The rules are ridiculous. Curfew at midnight, signing out is a PAIN. You have to write down addresses, names, phone numbers, etc. I got written up for not writing down my parents' first names, I wrote 'immediate family' instead. Required bible class was the worst. DAILY, 2 hours of my precious credit hours, 3000 dollars of my precious money, and that class took up most of my precious time. My final exam in old testament consisted of: writing (verbatim) the 39 ot books in order, 10 commandments, 10 plagues, 15 judges, 12 tribes, 7 days of creation. And 150 MC questions such as

which prophet was also a priest
?

You are required to live on campus unless you have a ridiculous amount of hours (you'd pretty much be graduated by then), or if you are married, or 24 or so years of age. Seniors who are 22 years old still have the same bedtime as the freshmen. An RA comes into your room every single night and shines a flashlight in your face to see if you're in the room.

If you're a girl, expect to not bring half your wardrobe. Shorts must be mid thigh (I still got dresscoded for mid thigh athletic shorts), dresses to the knee (and skirts), no shorts in class (TERRIBLE in the hot August heat).

Harding can kick you out for pointless reasons (good ones too, but for those they are more unforgiving and don't give second chances). Someone I know got suspended the week before finals for not signing out, he was called in and he confessed willingly that he had been drinking, he was suspended and left the next day. You can be suspended if you miss too many of the forced worship sessions they called Chapel. You get expelled if you have sex. You are not allowed to be gay, because apparently you will go to hell if you are gay. My bible teacher told us that gay people should become asexual.

I found it hard to make friends because I wasn't in a social club, and I also noticed that EVERYBODY has some creepy connection to another. Especially people who I didn't want to be connected to others, if this makes sense. Basically after the 1st semester of being a Freshman, you're out of luck, the clicks are shut and the fortress is built, have fun getting through it to make some real friends.

Harding blocks any website they find 'inappropriate'. They had an ordeal about a website they blocked: huqueerpress was the name, it was a pamphlet of gays experiences at Harding. Harding blocked it and then had seminars of why it is wrong to be gay.

Please, I urge you to reconsider your college options before taking the bold move to come here. It takes an ignorant or a STRONG person to survive this school.

responseGood luck with your next University application and references. Those teachers that act righteous at Church were able to get you accepted elsewhere and admitted. when you go to the whore houses let them stamp your hand.
commentI have some of the same comments and complaints about the accepted and enrolled students. To the respondee above, let's remember that is a way and media we can improve Campus and University life. You mad some great points. Thank you for sharing.
Harding University