StudentsReview :: Seattle Pacific University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Western Washington University -- Bellingham, WA

Seattle Pacific University

Alumni Survey

Date: Jun 29 2011
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
Already having a master's degree from another university, I really had to weigh the benefits of attending SPU and whether this was worthwhile endeavor.

Fortunately, I can say it was a worthwhile decision for me career wise. I recently got a new job in my previous career field, which has resulted in a 32% pay increase. I believe this was due in-part to my MBA studies.

Pro's: I felt that SPU allowed me to express my spirituality in certain contexts. I'm not a "Bible-thumper" by any means, but the program requires you to look at issues through a socially responsible lens. In this respect, it is somewhat spiritual in its approach without being too "preachy".

I feel that the faculty places a high value on students and a genuine commitment to their betterment.

Con's: Many of my classmates felt like the MBA program could have been more rigorous or wasn't rigourous enough. Some of the folks, even complained that some of the professors weren't pushing us hard enough.

Conclusion: I think that SPU provides a good place to learn about the fundamentals of business management and nothing would keep an "over-achiever" from pushing herself or himself further. I already had a full-time job and attending SPU allowed me to enjoy the right mix of work-life balance.

My advice for anyone considering the MBA program at SPU (or any other MBA program for that matter) is to look at decision to borrow money as a finance/investment decision. Determine the payback period and evaluate the Return on Investment. In my case, I determined that there was 4.5 payback period based on my earnings, which can only decrease as I make more money.

No, this school isn't Harvard University or the University of Washington, but I feel good about my decision to attend SPU. I also feel that SPU offers an intangible benefit in terms of ethics and being socially responsible that most other universities would overlook or ignore.

Compare SPUSave SPU