StudentsReview :: The University of Detroit Mercy - Extra Detail about the Comment

Brown University -- Providence, RI

Surrounding CityD Extra CurricularsB
SafetyA+
Friendly, Arrogant, Approachable, Snooty, Closeminded

ACT:28
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #009704; line-height:80px';float:left;
D
Academic Success
He cares more about Surrounding City than the average student.
Date: Aug 03 2011
Major: School of Information (This Major's Salary over time)
I went to UofD Mercy for 4 straight years and graduated on time with a Computer Information System Degree.

The degree itself has helped me get a job that is paying above average for my experience and field. The education itself was pretty good but needed to be more specific. For example, we learned about network security in the broad sense but never worked with packet sniffers and anything hands on.

It would have been VERY nice to have some of my classes correspond with professional cerfications. Those certifications are important in my field to get your resume in the hiring managers hands.

The school itself is well kept and the streets are always plowed and salted within the University. It is unfortunate that the school is in such an awful area. There is little to no "night life" unless you want to risk getting robbed while outside the gates of the school. I never had a problem while within the campus limits. There are always loads of safety gaurds around as well.

All of my teachers were pretty great except maybe 2 or 3 over my four years. One issue was with a teacher that taught math and I had a VERY hard time understanding him. He didn't seem to have a very good English skills. I ended up doing OK in the class but mainly because of outside help. The other two were just teachers that rubbed me the wrong way and were not particularly good at what they were teaching.

The staff within the CIS program is pretty strong, I would just suggest that they change their classes up a bit to make them more valuable to someone on the job.

questionHow was the dorms, university facilitates and social scene on campus? I am to a prospective CIS student :)
Compare UDMSave UDM