StudentsReview :: Southeast Missouri State University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

SafetyB-

Condescending, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

Not so bright
Faculty Accessibility
He cares more about Faculty Accessibility than the average student.
Date: Sep 01 2011
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
I applied for the Online MBA program at SEMO the 2nd week of June 2011. Having several years of experience as an external auditor with a regional CPA firm, it was time to take it to the next step, and SEMO's MBA program is AACSB after all.

The three months that followed were the most tedious, horrible, terrible, teeth-grinding admissions process I have seen so far (and I have been to three colleges before SEMO). They lost my application for 2 1/2 months, and after seven-eight calls to SFS (student services), I finally get an email the first week of August with five words saying it is "processing".

I get kicked over to the graduate program, and the MBA coordinator is some PhD prude who absolutely refuses to talk to students at all about class scheduling. She sent me an email telling me I needed Business Calculus and MIS classes as prequisites. That was all. After several voicemails, several emails and a host of other obnoxious problems,I was never able to get into the two prelim classes I needed for the MBA program there.

Cons: dont expect student services,financial aid or the mba coordinators/director to help you at all. They wont, and if you try to talk to them, they wont respond, communicate with you or help you in any way. After two and one half months with all the problems at student services, I let all that go, I figured the mba program would be more helpful, curteous or professional (hint hint, this is an AACSB program again!!), but no, nada, zip, ziltch.

I also have two close friends who graduated with bachelor of science degrees from SEMO with an emphasis on Accounting. After knowing and talking to them for two years now, I have not heard them say anything positive about their business/acctg program, other than it was convenient.

Cape Girardeau is a larger city, but has really bad discrimination problems, and drug problems down by the river, there are shootings all the time, and in the 2 years I live down there while working, at least 5 black people were shot in drug related incidents at the bars on the riverfront.

Compare SEMO/SMSUSave SEMO/SMSU