StudentsReview :: Old Dominion University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University -- Blacksburg, VA

Old Dominion University

Alumni Survey

Date: Sep 22 2011
Major: Art & Design Department (This Major's Salary over time)
My time at ODU was a great experience. Having grown up in a more rural part of VA, I wanted a more urban location and always loved the beach so the campus location was perfect. The art program was pretty good, , I'm now gainfully employed in my career field, so it served me well and I did learn a lot. My professor gave me the contact for my first job, and my boss was an ODU alumnus. I made great friends and memories by getting involved in several campus groups at ODU, including the radio station, newspaper and Monarch Maniacs. I didn't experience much of the clique negativity as some reviewers have, but I also didn't hang with too many greeks. ODU is definitely a school on the rise, both academically and socially. I've noticed a serious change (for the better) in the types of people attending and in campus community and school spirit over the last couple years. The comments about the staff and campus employees being rude and unhelpful are unfortunately true. But the professors are helpful and most have good credentials. Crime is an issue, but most of it occurs off campus, and if you are smart and dont walk around by yourself in questionable areas late at night and dont buy drugs from gangstas you will be just fine. I never felt unsafe. I skateboarded on campus at midnight with friends all the time and we never had any problems. From my experience, I would recommend the school without hesitation. Its a good value for the education, there are lots of things to do in the area (beach, concerts, festivals, football, parties), and the school seems to be improving in stature all the time. Particularly in science and technology areas. ODU is a fantastic choice for students who are bright, but maybe not straight As and who want the advantages of a more urban setting or to be near the ocean. Its not UVA, but I would certainly put ODU at or above the level of other urban VA schools such as GMU, CNU or VCU, which I also considered in my college search.
Compare ODUSave ODU