StudentsReview :: Northern Michigan University - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyA+
Friendly, Approachable

Friendly

ACT:31
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #009704; line-height:80px';float:left;
B-
She cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Date: Nov 07 2011
Major: Accounting (This Major's Salary over time)
I transferred here from a Big 10 university in order to come a welcoming school with an awesome outdoor environment. The people here are the friendliest you will ever meet. Plus NMU is the perfect size - not too large where you won't feel lost, but not too small where you feel suffocated. Plus Marquette is an awesome city to live in - I love being able to bike to Lake Superior, ski at Marquette Mountain, and enjoy the bar scene downtown. If you are an outdoorsy friendly person, you will love it here. However, it is a bit secluded, so if you need to live near a metro area this may not be ideal for you. I personally don't mind the 5 hour drive from my hometown to here, and since a lot of people come from out of state or from downstate, a lot of people stick around on the weekends and hang out together.

A note on the business program - I am an Accounting major, and all of my professors are friendly and approachable. A select few are exceptional at teaching, while others may be mediocre or below average. If you are looking to work for the Big 4 though, you may want to look at a different university, as none of them recruit here. The only firms that come to the career fair are a couple of local firms, which makes getting a job after college very challenging. However it is possible, as long as you network, attain a high GPA, and get involved in leadership roles.

Aside from this, I definitely recommend NMU. I have never regretted transferring here, and my overall experience has been awesome.

questionHave you worked any internships so far or have set job plans for after you graduate? I'm trying to decide whether to attend northern or MSU. I like the atmosphere of northern better, but I'm wondering if attending northern is a good idea in relation to good job placement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
responseI did have one local part time internship for one tax season. There are a few local internships available, but they are competitive because Marquette isn't the biggest town. I was able to get a full time job downstate after I graduate with a mid-size firm, which is exactly what I wanted. I got it mostly through connections and because it was located near my hometown. I recommend going to a university near where you want to live after graduation. I don't regret going to Northern, but it did make the job search harder.
Compare NMUSave NMU