StudentsReview :: The University of Northwestern St Paul - Extra Detail about the Comment

The University of Northwestern St Paul

Afraid, Arrogant, Broken Spirit, Snooty, Closeminded

Friendly, Helpful, Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
A
She cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Date: Nov 17 2011
Major: Psychology (This Major's Salary over time)
This college is one of the worst in MN. Of course, I am personally biased on this, but I can't help it. My experience was so sour and rotted that I couldn't transfer off this campus soon enough. Now I am safe and flourishing at a finer institute of higher education.

What made my experience at NWC so rank were a variety of factors, and three are prominent: their theology, student behavior, and curriculum.

Regarding theology, NWC is quite the conservative little school and grossly decided to make chapel mandatory. Now, chapel is a good thing and is supposed to be an opportunity to spend time with your spiritual side. Yet chapel has transformed into a NWC propaganda event, as well as an agenda event by random, unscreened speakers. I am so appalled by a few of the speakers that were allowed on stage, for they had nothing but contempt and fingers to point at the students.

As for student behavior, like someone said before, there are nice students and then there are selfish, uncaring students. Cliques are world-wide, but it appears they are sharply defined at NWC. I felt like I was in high school because there were so many different groups and all sorts of rules as to joining those groups. The theater group is perhaps the most pompous, closed group at that college. Making friends and dating are almost out of the question. I made my friends through orientation group, and basically that was it. I did pick up one or two in other classes, but after freshman year, it became harder to make new friends. The majority of NWCers are of European descent, and many of them only prefer to date those of the same ethnicity. Not that I was very desperate for a NWC man, but come on, it's nice to know that guys are interested. The last issue I have with some NWCers is that they make very poor roommates. If one has a problem, as is oft to occur in life, then don't reveal it at this college. No one is really going to show they care or bother to understand. The girls seem to have immense trouble rooming together (and I suppose a few guys do as well) and room transferring happened for other girls a ton during my two years there. There really should be a roommate course because it may have solved many of the troubles I and others endured.

Lastly, the curriculum in psychology was decent, and I certainly enjoyed my classes with profs (minus the only Freudian professor on that campus and only because he greatly dislikes females and told us nothing but Freud views in Intro to Psych class) but the courses started sifting towards therapy instead of investigating the other branches of psychology. Now of course there are other classes in psychology, but NWC seems to like stereotyping psychology to therapy. I do not want to be a therapist, and I transferred.

To sum things up, NWC needs to change much of what they tote about. I don't regret my two years there, but I wish I'd have had a heads up on what I was getting into.

Compare UNWSP/UNSPSave UNWSP/UNSP