StudentsReview :: The University of Northwestern St Paul - Extra Detail about the Comment

The University of Northwestern St Paul

Broken Spirit, Snooty, Closeminded

Arrogant, Condescending

Safety
A
She cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Date: Nov 19 2011
Major: Psychology (This Major's Salary over time)
I don't think that Northwestern is a "bad" school, per se, however, I feel that you have to be a particular kind of person in order to feel comfortable there. I think if you are the kind of Christian Northwestern is looking for, it could be great if that's all you want from life. But for the others, it's not right for them.

I don't feel it's healthy to just give the bad, so I'll give some good. Health Services is wonderful. They aren't very big with a PA there twice a week, a doctor once, and staffed by RNs the other. But they take the time to know you, and take care of you. The campus is pretty. It's on Laka Johanna and it's gorgeous.

However. I transferred out. Why? Many of the students are condescending and downright cruel. Professors refused to work with me for legitimate disabilities. Disability services can be a joke at times.

Psychology? Well, if you want Freudian psychology and to be a therapist, this is perfect for you! There is one professor who you will have at least one class with who is the single most egocentric man I've ever meant and I'm pretty sure he's convinced he's God's divine gift to woman. His theology is disgusting and appalling, and he has no right being a professor. Another psychology professor refused to work with my needs. I do love some of the psych profs, but having major issues with two made it difficult.

I was a double major, Psych and Ministry. The ministry department is good. Chapel, however, is not. It's mandatory. That wouldn't be so bad, if it was interesting. If it wasn't what sometimes was hellfire and brimstone, other times dating chapels, and other times twisted theology. The school is largely Calvinist, with some Armenian influence. If you don't jive with their beliefs, watch out.

I also feel they judge you if you come from a dysfunctional family or have anything that is not right with you. You aren't praying enough, you aren't Christian enough, you aren't doing something enough. I realize that this mindset isn't unique to Northwestern, however, many of these types of people exist.

Have roommate conflict? Good luck! I was sort of able to get one issue sort of resolved, but nothing really satisfactory. Trying to get a hold of the right people is a pain. Trying to change rooms is near impossible. And while the dorms in Hartill are nice enough, it's noisy and LOUD. Constant running and screaming and thumping in the halls. The Row is better, but some of the dorms are shoddy.

I think Northwestern has potential. I think it could be a good school. But for now, it's a "middle conservative" school (and I'm a flaming liberal by their standards) that has some practices that worry me. If they get their act together, I think they could be a decent school. Proceed with caution.

Compare UNWSP/UNSPSave UNWSP/UNSP