StudentsReview :: The University of California - Santa Cruz - Extra Detail about the Comment

University of California -- Davis, CA

ACT:31
Social Life
Campus Maintenance
A
She cares more about Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty than the average student.
Date: Nov 29 2011
Major: Art & Design Department (This Major's Salary over time)
I am bored to death studying at UCSC. I understand that most people research and visit the school before they are admitted.. I made the huge mistake of blindly applying & accepting, assuming a grand college experience because it's a UC school! Here's what I don't like…

There is absolutely no nightlife. You have to take a bus to get between classes & the campus is super spread out. Moreover, just to get downtown or go ANYWHERE you need to wait for a bus that takes 20-30 min to get there! I feel bored and depressed here because mostly I find myself sitting at my apartment. That's b/c the school is in the middle of the forest :(

A lot of people here are nerds and hippies. So many guys don't shave. And the people here have no style. I admit it took a while to find a group of friends to hang out with & party with.

if you're the outdoorsy type, however, you'll love it. Trees & grass & deer everywhere! I however can't stand it. Also, the art department here is very small. The art teachers don't actually teach anything in the classes (I expected to learn techniques) & just give you the assignment.

I was unsure of a lot of things, such as where I wanted to go & what I wanted to do before I came here. I know definitely not here!

responseI don't like liberals. I enjoy structure and conservatism, mild competition, and ramped school spirit. I love that I might lose weight, which I need (which is why I want to move back to the city again), and no competition could seriously improve my GPA. BUT, I'm afraid I'll get stuck with crappy teachers and just really be bored and uninvolved. If my only reasoned for going are (1) losing weight, (2) having little competition, and (3) b/c I'm not certain whether ucla will accept me, then UCSC is not for me. I'll admit, as a New Yorker, I need trends and waves. Life! A new rhythm every day! I need high standards and the fast life. That's really how I function. I couldn't do well otherwise ( as high school has proved with our move from NYC to Florence, AZ. Search it up its horrendous. I'm sure, statistically they have the worst education in the U.S. No one in their right mind would moved here, unless you walked in blindly, which my family unfortunately did. I can't wait to get out of here and live again, which is why I want to go to Cali, but your review convinces me that UCSC is just another miserable hole. Thanks for the heads up and I hope thongs improve for you.
The University of California - Santa Cruz