StudentsReview :: Southern Vermont College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arrogant, Closeminded

Friendly, Unhelpful

Faculty Accessibility
A-
He cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Date: Nov 29 2011
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
Coming into SVC as a freshman, I wasn't expecting to be overly challenged by the coursework (since anyone with a pulse gets accepted). But now that I've been here for a while I'm actually frustrated by how easy the classes are. I've paid $20,000 for my first year's tuition and haven't learned a single thing that I wasn't taught in high school. Most of the teachers have very limited knowledge of their subject area and only a small handful actually have a Phd. Out of the five classes I am taking this year I'd say that one of my instructors is fit to be a professor, the others teach at more of a middle school level. One of my "professors" actually gave me a low grade on an essay because my writing is "too advanced" and he couldn't understand it. The funny thing is that most people don't complain about how easy the classes are because most of them actually struggle with the material. I'm embarrassed to say that I will be getting a degree from the same institution as some of these people.

As for the dorm life…underclassman dorms are about half the size of the average college dorm. I can stand in the middle of my room and almost touch two opposite walls at the same time. The walls are literally paper-thin with no insulation. I hear music 24/7 coming from about 3 different directions (even after "quiet hours").

Campus safety is a joke. None of the rules are enforced except the ones about parking. Security officers are friends with the students and allow them to smoke week and drink as much as they want whenever they want. I've even seen them encouraging this behavior and taking pictures of it.

Don't think SVC is a place to go for a year and then transfer. Everyone tries that but other schools will laugh at a transcript from SVC. The credits you earn here are worthless which means you are stuck for all 4 (or 2) years.

My advice,

If you get accepted to any other school: go to that school

If you don't get accepted to any other school: go to a community college or take a year off

If you're already here: transfer to a cheaper community college or stick it out until graduation and hope that one day you will learn at least one thing with your $80,000 in tuition.

SVC prides itself on being a career-driven institution. But don't plan on getting a career that pays above $30k. They give you a community college education at a private college rate.

Compare SVCSave SVC