StudentsReview :: California State University - Chico - Extra Detail about the Comment

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

SAT2000
Extra Curriculars
C
A-
She cares more about Extra Curriculars than the average student.
Date: Jan 12 2012
Major: Biology (This Major's Salary over time)
There are good things and bad things about Chico State. I'm going to break up my review into several sections (Chico students, campus, gym, cafeteria, surrounding area, and faculty). Before I start I'll have to say my opinions are fairly biased/one sided. I'm probably not your typical Chico State student. I partied hard in high school and got bad grades, but it wasn't because I wasn't smart/didn't like school, I just had other things going on. I barely studied for my SATs and only applied to schools because my mother forced me to (I was planning on attending junior college). Now for me, college is when I decided to get serious. I re-discovered my love of school and got tired of partying. If I had cared about college in high school/got better grades I definitely would not have chosen Chico, which is probably why I don't love it here. Now onto my review:

If you are fairly intelligent, and enjoy intelligent conversation, do NOT go here. You will be bored out of your mind and rolling your eyes at almost every word that comes out of your peers' mouths. That being said the people here are friendly, even if some are a bit stuck up (though I'm not too sure why). I have met a good group of friends, so there are definitely some quality people here, you just have to find your group. The girls are, for the most part, very friendly and fun. The guys are?your typical college guys; trying to get laid and drink as much as possible, but when you get to know them they?re all right. The parties here are average; the people that consider them poppin have obviously never partied in a city. They're just typical college house parties, nothing special, but still fun.

The campus is very pretty and well laid out, with lots of trees and well-kept lawns. The dorms are all right, though the rooms are a bit cramped (UC dorms are MUCH bigger). The bathrooms are fairly clean and there's usually an open shower when you need one. If you have to study it's probably best not to do it in the study lounge unless it's empty, and even then I'd avoid it. Many people will talk, play music, talk on the phone, etc. the entire time they are in there. Go to the library. Also, the campus stupidly put the study lounge right next to the entrance of the dorms, near the benches where all the smokers hang out and play music…loudly. Why they did this, I do not know. They have two other rooms the exact same size as the study lounge, tucked away in the back of the dorms, where no one will bother you. These rooms are the recreational rooms, with the tv, ping-pong tables, etc. They definitely should have put the study lounge back there and the fun rooms in the front. Again, if you have work to do, go to the library.

Now the gym here is amazing. It has up to date equipment, multiple weight machines and free weights, 3 different designated stretching areas, and an amazing selection of exercise classes with absolutely wonderful teachers (and cute ones too!) I hear the pool/hot tub area is really nice as well but I have yet to leave the gym to check it out. If you enjoy working out this gym will become your second home.

The cafeteria. Oh myy. The food is all right, it?s edible (most of the time). The vegetables at the salad bar do smell ?off? most of the time (and I?ve gotten some visibly moldy vegetables as well), the pizza tastes like greasy cardboard, the soup has been compared to 'pig slop', and the pasta is almost always over-cooked. The breakfasts are probably the best part of the cafeteria, since they have a made-to-order omelet station. Also, everyone who works there is very friendly and it's a great place to socialize.

The town of Chico has its pluses and minuses. It is your typical small, college, town. There are many places to eat that range in price. The people are very friendly and it's fun to walk around. Bidwell Park is pretty, but not as gorgeous as everyone says. That being said it is one of my favorite parts of Chico and I try and go at least once a week to take a breather from campus life. Be careful if you?re walking around downtown at night, especially if you?re a girl. Even a large group of girls will get majorly creeped on by the older drunken males that hang around there. It?s usually safe to walk on the streets where the college students are (Hazel, Ivy, Cherry, etc.) as long as you?re in a group. There have been stories of girls getting assaulted/guys getting stabbed but it has yet to happen to anyone I know.

Last but not least, the professors, probably my favorite part of Chico State. Now I must have majorly lucked out or something because I loved every single one of my professors my first semester. I did use rate my professor so I knew they were petty good when I signed up for their classes, but they literally blew my mind with their energy, compassion, and intellect. They all genuinely seemed to care about their students (a few even baked all of us treats on the last day of class!) and they were all fair graders. I learned a lot from them and hope to take classes from them again at some point! (Feel free to email me if you want any of their names, you won't regret taking a class from them). The classes were fairly interesting and I left each of them feeling like I actually learned something. If I end up transferring I will definitely miss the professors here, they really are quality members of this community.

questionI'm considering CSUC and I'd love to speak to you about your experience. You say that if you are you taking your education seriously that you should avoid Chico, is that just because of the students? Would the professors make up for that if you were to just stick to yourself?
commentYou clearly did not get out much while you lived in chico… find a local and have them show you the real town
responseTo the commenter: I still live in Chico and I think it's a very beautiful small town. I've driven along the canyon towards paradise at sunset, hiked upper bidwell, listened to live music at one mile (and went skinny dipping later…), bought delicious fruits and vegetables at the farmer's market, and visited a majority of the yummy restaurants. I really do love Chico, it's just a bit small for my personal tastes (I was raised in the bay near the coast, I'm used to being a short drive from both the beach big cities…so maybe it's my fault for choosing a school located in a small farming town). As much as I love the town, however, the majority of the students just aren't all that interesting to me. They don't come off as intelligent (even the ones that I know are smart) and don't care about anything but drinking and skating by in their classes. There are definitely a lot that do care about their education, but the partiers outnumber them 10-1.

To the person asking a question: I started to answer your question above so I'll just continue from there…the professors and the academic opportunities are amazing, as long as you're proactive and look for them. I've learned so much from the professors here and a lot of them really care about their students. There are also numerous internships and other student positions that you can take on if you're up for the challenge. It is possible to focus on your education at Chico, it's just the environment that makes it very easy to either get side tracked or very jaded/depressed. If you're quite intelligent you'll feel like a big fish in a small pond, and not in a good way. I came to college expecting to have peers that challenged me and elevated me to a new level of learning and intellect, that doesn't happen here. But if you surround yourself with great professors and a small group of like minded individuals you'll most likely do fine :) plus (if you're planning on getting an advanced degree) it doesn't really matter where you do your undergrad; it just matters how well you do at whatever school you choose. Best of luck! Comment back if you have any more questions

questionHello, thanks for your review I found it very helpful, as someone who is really social what accomodation would you recommend? I'm going into third year (junior?) from England
California State University - Chico