StudentsReview :: Old Dominion University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Condescending

Safety
D
Friendliness
She cares more about Safety than the average student.
Date: Feb 10 2012
Major: Public Health (This Major's Salary over time)
I transferred to ODU after attending a semester at a university two hours away. Personally, I can say I have never had an issue with Administration or Financial Aid. In fact, when I changed enrollment status and contacted the FA department, the woman I spoke to was very helpful; in fact, she offered to handle my enrollment change herself, even though she was not my FA advisor. I don't live on campus, so my rating of activities is based on what I know to be offered, not what I have attended. I do not attend college to be a social butterfly; I attend to acquire my bachelor's degree. Based on the spelling and grammar of some of the comments, I would say there are a fair amount of individuals who should have paid closer attention in remedial English before complaining. I cannot speak for other departments, but the Health Sciences department is more than adequate in terms of advising and extracurricular opportunities. My only complaint is that I was told to wait until my last semester for my internship; because of placement difficulties, I'm going to have to cram in as many hours as possible to fulfill my obligations.

If you are looking for an incredibly easy time/ride, you probably shouldn't attend ODU. I'm not saying it's of Ivy League difficulty, but there is very little "hand holding." I don't consider that a bad thing, since there's not much of that in the real world. You are expected to complete assignments on time, on your own, without having your instructor walk you through every little process. Most instructors I've had require a great deal of writing. I don't think that's a bad thing either, especially when I see the drivel others post on the internet these days.

I can only comment so much about the surrounding area, as I do not pay a lot of attention to landscaping and the rest of the student body. Within my program of study, the students are very professional and focused on their grades. The area surrounding campus is adequate for my tastes, but I wouldn't run around alone at midnight with a wad of cash in my pockets. The campus is located in an urban area (read: crime-ridden), and campus security has no jurisdiction over surrounding areas. If you choose to leave the campus and return in the middle of the night on foot, you are a fool.

Compare ODUSave ODU