StudentsReview :: Castleton State College - Extra Detail about the Comment

SAT1650
Social Life
Safety
A
He cares more about Social Life than the average student.
Date: Feb 15 2012
Major: Education (This Major's Salary over time)
I am a physical education major and began my degree at SUNY Brockport, which is highly/nationally regarded for their excellent PE program. The reason I left was because of the area and being too far from home. Coming to Castleton, I figured it would be an easy transition because of Brockport's reputation. Unfortunately, Castleton's program put me a full year and a half behind, whereas at Brockport, I was a semester ahead because of my credits. It is an entirely different program from any other school, and they have ridiculous graduation requirements. You can imagine how frustrating this was for me, especially because of Castleton's outrageous out-of-state tuition. I am forced to pay $30,000 a year to take even more general education classes, even though I had 89 credits coming into the institution.

Which leads me to my transfer registration experience. At a transfer registration, your advisor should be there for you to make an easy transition from one school to the other. My experience was quite the opposite. My advisor told me that I was required to take classes which I already completed at Brockport, and when I tried to solve the issue, he told me I had to take care of it once the semester started. He was clearly in a rush to give me my schedule, and get me out of there. I also made it evident that I was concerned with the amount of time it would take me to graduate because I had worked so hard to get ahead. He very inconsiderately proceeded to tell me, in the least apologetic tone imagineable, that I would have

another three years, AT LEAST.
I therefore spent 3 weeks during the summer trying to get credit for the courses I'd already taken. I continued to play email tag with someone from the education department, who was very generous and helpful. She directed me to the PE department chair, but no one was ever there the entire summer to meet with me about my schedule. Every time I tried to arrange a meeting, the subject was avoided. The woman from the education department managed to find me 9 credits, which helped me slightly. So, as you can see, the transfer process was stressful and counter productive. If you're thinking about transferring here from another institution, make sure you do your research before you make the decision.

Now that I am here, my experience is better than I thought, but not nearly what I would hope for in a college education/experience. I play a sport, which a large portion of the campus does, and it gives me something to do and made it easy for me to make friends. However, there is very VERY little to do here, especially for those of you who do not party. There are intramurals and athletics, theater, and some clubs, and that's about it. The campus has little to offer. There is a gym, one dining hall, a library, and then buildings with a bunch of classrooms. You won't find much else.

On the positive side, the students are very friendly and most of the staff is as well. I really enjoy the small school setting; it makes for better teacher-student interaction and it's much easier to make friends. Additionally, if you love the outdoors, particularly the snow, Vermont is the place for you. Not Castleton necessarily, but definitely Vermont.

As far as the PE department goes, there are some great professors, and some awful professors. If this is your major, you should definitely look to take classes with Weinberg, Culpo, Geisler, Strom-Olson, and, from what I hear, Shipley. The two heads of the department are not as friendly, and unfortunately, you have to take classes with them. I have been told many times that if

you're not on their good side,
you will do poorly. Dr. Pleban designed pretty much the entire program, and every other teacher is essentially forced to follow in her footsteps. Many of the teachers even are required to use papers and tests that she formulates. She is a very intelligent woman when it comes to physical education, but there is very little freedom within the department.

Everyone's experience will be different, but mine has been a poor one thus far. I expected to be in a better place than where I was at Brockport, but it is nothing like what I had hoped. I would probably have thought different had I not had to experience the transfer transition. Though Castleton certainly has its positives, if I had to go back and choose again, I would not select Castleton as my college.

MCPHS University (MA) 1:positive