StudentsReview :: Old Dominion University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Approachable

Friendly, Helpful, Self Absorbed

Useful Schoolwork
C
He cares more about Useful Schoolwork than the average student.
Date: Feb 29 2012
Major: Other (This Major's Salary over time)
I'm sure ODU was crap just 5 to 10 years ago, but it's great now. The academics in the science and engineering department is really wonderful, and the professors speak English well, regardless of nationality. The campus has grown and continues to grow.

True, we have over 25000 students so getting in is not too difficult (like most urban, semi-commuter schools including VCU, GMU, etc.). But the actual PROGRAMS and DEPARTMENTS are hard to get into! They don't accept just any engineering, nursing, or education student. You may get into ODU, but good luck getting into your program unless you are top notch. I mean, anyone can study communications or English… At any university. Those are usually the people writing bad review.

ODU has low tuition. Among the lowest in the state for large universities. But they offer so much! If ODU doesn't have it, just ask and they (or you) can start it,

I admit, the financial aid people suck! But appparently that is everywhere, so no point in ragging on ODU about it. I hope they fix it though.

The advisors for the simple majors are not good, I hear. But the science advisors are great. They know your name and they know their stuff!

I am very glad I chose ODU. it was my first choice because of the location near the beach, the science majors, and having kickass parties. The crime issue has been improving, but if you look up the most dangerous college campuses in the nation or the state, you get results like NSU, VCU, Harvard, MIT, Coulmbia… Any urban campus. Just use common sense.

The returning adults and older commuters drag the average SAT and GPAs down that you see on websites. I have met more very smart students than I have dummies, but dummies will exist in a large school. Like I said, our academics hit them in the face and they won't survive in a science of engineering program here, for sure.

If you are not an open-minded person and you want to study something like communications or Arabic, you may not like it. If you both are intelligent and not elitist, you would like the beach-like laid back atmosphere. The campus is beautiful. Get a tour and give it a try! I'm glad I did

Compare ODUSave ODU