StudentsReview :: Hendrix College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityD- Extra CurricularsB-
SafetyA
Friendly, Approachable, Broken Spirit, Snooty

ACT:26
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #977500; line-height:80px';float:left;
D-
She cares more about Social Life than the average student.
Date: Mar 29 2012
Major: Psychology (This Major's Salary over time)
Oh my gosh, there is so much to say about Hendrix College, both good and bad (of course there has to be some bad stuff). I came into Hendrix College with a negative attitude because Hendrix was #4 on my college list and to be honest, I didn't want to live in Arkansas. I decided to go to Hendrix strictly because of all the money they gave me including both scholarships and financial aid (and ask anyone else, they'll tell you the same). Even though I had such a negative attitude, the environment and general vibe of Hendrix really pulled me in and gave me a different outlook. For one, the campus is BEAUTIFUL (unlike the rest of Arkansas BLEH) and filled with huge trees, blooming flowers, and a million little creatures running or flying around including squirrels, cardinals, and the occasional antisocial cat. What also drew me in was that the orientation leaders and admissions staff were super friendly and very helpful. So… I shrugged my shoulders and went along for the ride. The freshman and transfer orientation at Hendrix is quite impressive, I must say. It involves many interesting talks about important college issues such as drinking, sex, and general anxiety that usually comes with moving to a new place with a bunch of people you don't know - 1400 to be exact… which for me is wayyyy too small. It also includes a 3-day orientation trip which is a great way for you to get to know some people other new people and get to know the surrounding area. However, the sweet summer air and uplifting vibe of the orientation staff helped me forget everything I didn't like about Hendrix, that is, until my second semester here. At first, I thought the people were really cool and open to any ideas. They all seemed really intelligent and very devoted to their studies, whatever they may be. A lot of the people here are actually that way and they have really cool plans with what they want to do with their life. Unfortunately, a lot of the people I met merely seemed that way and they ended up dropping out and going back to live with their parents, failing out, or transferring. I guess that's not surprising since Hendrix has a 60% Graduation rate - only slightly above half. That's not the only thing though. People here form groups quickly and if you realize you don't really like your group all that much or they don't like you, good luck with finding new friends. It is possible, but extremely difficult since Hendrix is such a small school and everyone knows each other already. My advice? Don't make "best" friends with your roommate, because if he or she doesn't actually like you or you have a falling out of some sort, not only does he or she know everything about you, but you will have to face him or her every day (well, that's all schools I guess :P). Um Conway absolutely sucks, I'm not going to lie. People will either say it's not too bad or that it sucks and um, the people who say it's okay are lying. There are very few good places to eat and most are pretty expensive on a college student budget (Did I mention the caf doesn't offer dinner on Saturdays? Yeah, it doesn't.). So the rest of your options are all fast food places. Umm and the rest of the buildings in Conway are churches or houses, I think. Not many people here are religious. Most are atheist and they are not very friendly around Christians. Although I am not a Christian myself, I still think that's unfortunate. There are two other colleges in Conway and they are UCA and CBC. No one really knows anyone at or knows anything about CBC, but UCA is definitely a rival school. I'm not really sure why everyone hates UCA, but they do. UCA people come to a lot of Hendrix parties and sometimes they make a mess of everything, so I think people get upset about that. Hendrix has a lot of awesome parties and yes, most people drink every weekend and even though that's just a "statistic," it's completely true. Some people even drink on Wednesday. The classes at Hendrix are awesome. I love them mostly because of the professors, but also because they're interesting, challenging, and can be put to use in everyday life. The professors are sooo nice and helpful (as far as I know) in every subject. We have a bunch of cliques at Hendrix and even though a lot of people don't fit into them, they are prominent and here they are: The gazebo druggies, the smart nerds that never leave their room/the library, the pokemon/sword club nerds, the preppies that don't really belong here, the lax bros, the hipsters (our biggest clique ever: probably includes a good 70% of people), and the hippies. Um there are 2 boys dorms, 3 girls dorms, and 1 co-ed dorm. The boys dorms include Hardin (nerd dorm…except not really) and Martin (party dorm…omg yes really). The co-ed dorm is Couch, also known as the hippie dorm (but it should probably be the sword club nerd dorm). The girls dorms include Veasey (the girl party dorm…kinda true), Galloway (the nicest dorm), and Raney (the nerd dorm…TRUE).
Compare HendrixSave Hendrix