StudentsReview :: Hampden Sydney College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Approachable

SAT1800
Not so bright
D
He cares more about Campus Maintenance than the average student.
Date: Apr 03 2012
Major: Political Science (This Major's Salary over time)
I am a senior, graduating in May, and I am majoring in "government" not "poli. sci."

Hampden-Sydney College is amazing. The faculty here care deeply about the students and are generally extremely fair. The people here, for the most part, are friendly and everyone who I have invited down to visit from other schools (JMU, WVU, UVA, VCU, VT, SBC, LU, LU, etc.) have told me so, especially compared to the schools that they attend. We are taught from day one as freshmen to say "hello" to every person we walk by…I found out quickly that people at other schools look down upon that; I value this the most about Hampden-Sydney.

The degree at H-SC is rooted in liberal arts and is broad. This is both a blessing and a curse. As a government major, I do not learn voter patterns, I don't crunch statistics, I don't study in-the-moment politics, forgetting about history, thus settling for an ideology set in progressivism and revisionism. I instead studied extensively the origin of societies and the notion of human rights, the nature and constitutionality of all facets of American government, I have studied all other forms of government from all over the world and from many, many philosophers and writers, and, most of all, I learned how to schmooze.

While I may not find a job as some lackey on Capitol Hill pushing papers and doing the business of some partisan leader right out of school, I'll be able to pursue a wide variety of occupations that require my great "bullshitting" skills. Let's face it, it takes charisma and rhetoric to get your boss to change company policy, broker a multi-million dollar deal, or move up the ladder.

Administratively, however, H-SC is extremely lacking. The Financial Aid Office is full of middle-aged women who, even though they have the most important job here, could really give a damn about their jobs. They yank and pull students around and communicate extremely vital information to and from students extremely poorly, losing faxes, emails, and even mail; they even fail to contact family members regarding financial aid. Almost every student here has a horror story involving that office. The Business Office isn't much better; Rosa Thomas, the head, is extremely cross and offensive. She is very abrasive to students and their families; if you want her to do anything, you have to be abrasive back.

In addition, our Deans here were recently caught in the act of trying to subvert our faculty and Student Government by stiff-arming them and illegally trying to coerce them into passing certain policies. The Student Body rose up with the entire faculty in solidarity and currently some internal changes are underway.

The biggest internal problem here is our president, Dr. Christopher B. Howard. The Dr. is clearly here to provide for himself the basis for a higher career, most likely a political one. He has used our money here to renovate his house and expand his already large driveway (this is the tens-of-thousands-of-dollars range, if not in the hundreds-of-thousands) while we are struggling to get funds for classrooms, teachers' salaries, technology, and the rest. Our dorms are in horrible condition as well and only minute attempts to renovate one have been made.

Christopher Howard is also extremely shady. His demeanor cries out "politician." He'll say one thing to your face and then go and talk bad about you behind your back to another group of individuals, even in public. He's just an extremely fake man. His friendliness and sincerity are forced and everything about him screams ulterior motive. It's hard to find a single student on this campus who likes him or believes that he has the best interests of this campus at heart.

However, let's just say that I don't believe his stay will be very long after this year.

Socially, I think H-SC is great. Yeah, it's in the middle of BFE, but once you get used to that you'll love this place. Given the HUGE crackdown by President Howard (he's using the Deans to do this and ordering our once-friendly police force to arrest students on silly, even trumped-up charges now) H-SC is still fun. The guys you'll meet here will be lifelong friends. Dead weekends (meaning no parties at the frats) are always the craziest, seeing how everyone has nothing better to do than to black out and act retarded. Girls DO flock in by the busload on weekends and many are single and DTF.

Also, the values that you are instilled with here will be with you the rest of your life. People out in the world (especially women) will tell you that H-SC men can be picked out in a crowd; not by what they wear, but by how they carry themselves and act.

MCPHS University (MA) 1:positive