StudentsReview :: Western Michigan University - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyA
Friendly, Arrogant, Violent, Snooty

Friendly, Helpful, Condescending

ACT:21
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #977500; line-height:80px';float:left;
Excess Competition
D
A
He cares more about Excess Competition than the average student.
Date: Jun 11 2012
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
I've been at Western for two years now and I am trying to transfer now. So I put neutral because the school has its ups and downs. First I'll start with what I like. I am a creative writing major and this could possibly be one of the best programs at the school besides the aviation program. Great professors/grad students, though I have heard some bad opinions, so I may just be a little luckier. Besides the classes I have taken for my major, which have been like four classes, all the other crap I had to take was a HUGE waste of my time. So much money and time put into pointless Gen. Eds. They also force you to have a minor if you're in the arts & sciences college, which is stupid because I couldn't find one that I wanted to put time into. I even went so far to write a letter to the dean of the college and the president about that issue and got a lousy response that didn't answer my question.

I do like how the school doesn't expect you to be a genius, well, because barley anyone there is a genius. I do consider myself a pretty smart person, but the learning environment there is awful. TERRIBLE learning environment. First year in the dorms I had three roommates who NEVER studied, instead they played stupid computer games and video games constantly. Now my roommates this past year do the same thing. Constantly playing video games. No studying. Never do homework. No learning. Everyone there is just trying to float on by with decent grades and such. Not everybody, of course, but a good majority of the students are there just for fun it seems like.

Now, obviously it's college so you want to party. And I did/do too. Western is a good place to party, BUT the girls all get fat by junior or sophomore year. If they're hot then don't count on even talking to them unless you're rich or in a frat (The frats here suck; They're a bunch of losers).

Western accepts anyone, I liked it, but it's getting old and I want out, I want a better learning environment. If you do go to Western isn't bad, just don't let the "skim by" attitude that a lot of people have get to you, because it gets to me once in a while.

Sorry this may not be the best review, just my little opinion.

Compare WMUSave WMU