StudentsReview :: California State University Monterey Bay - Extra Detail about the Comment

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

Friendly, Broken Spirit

Friendly, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

Excess Competition
B
She cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Date: Jun 15 2012
Major: Sociology (This Major's Salary over time)
Unfortunately, I would have to give CSUMB a low score. I graduated last month and I am glad to be done. There is a large amount of miscommunication and disorganization within the dept. of my major, SBS. I can't speak for other depts. I was very stressed out my last semester, not by academically rigorous assignments but by just trying to figure out how I was going to get all my requirements met when each person I talked to would give me a different answer.

The administration acts like they hate their jobs. The faculty, while very nice, is not very demanding of its students. It was an "everyone gets a trophy" type of feeling. Syllabi were not followed, rules were not enforced. By the end of my time there I hardly bothered to make sure to get assignments done by the due date, because half the class would say that they needed more time and the teachers would just roll over. There were two teachers there that kept to their own rules—neither were "Doctors"—and I found their classes refreshingly challenging. I must say that I got satisfaction seeing students come up to them and say "I need more time because I was really tired", and then the looks on their faces when the teachers actually denied their requests. Thank god, at least a few teachers there are serious!

One other thing that really bothered me was the emailing—or lack thereof. I would email my adviser and she would not get back to me for days. I would email the administration and sometimes get no answer at all. It was like your emails just went off into the ether, never to be returned. I could never figure it out; would they forget to reply? Would your email get sent to the junk folder? What the heck was going on??

The last straw for me was the capstone. I figured out in SBS402 (which seemed to just be a rehash of SBS400) that we were allowed to pick between making a poster, and giving a presentation in front of perhaps 100 people. Either one got you the same amount of points! I couldn't bring myself to just cop out and make a damn poster, even if the presentation was more work for the same points. It was embarrassing. Also, during the peer reviews I discovered that there were people graduating who seriously could not write a proper sentence—that was really depressing. No doubt they got "'A's for effort". It pissed me off.

Compare CSUMB/CSMBSave CSUMB/CSMB