StudentsReview :: Hillsdale College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

Hillsdale College

Alumni Survey

Date: Jun 20 2012
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
I have been out of Hillsdale now as long as I was there so I think my views have had some time to cool down and be tempered by reason. As time goes by, I do appreciate Hillsdale more and more for the opportunities that I was given. Some of the classes I took were absolutely amazing and a few of my Professors were wonderful.

That said, I also have a lot of bitterness for the way in which I saw certain things handled at Hillsdale, particularly the "tough stuff". I knew several students who were struggling with mental health issues and they were either shipped off to the local counselor (who was inept) or local psychologist (who violated all sorts of privacy rules by passing along confidential information to the Dean). I have since come to realize that Hillsdale isn't malicious in this department, they are simply afraid, afraid to ruin their "good image", which I think is a shame.

I know one of Hillsdale's strong points is that they don't accept government funding. That is all well and good but it also creates tremendous pressure to present the "right" image, allowing a lot of issues to be swept under the rug. I worked for a short time in one of the admin offices and it was disgusting to see the level of groveling and pandering that is done go entice donors or parents to contribute money.

I also felt Hillsdale was very inept at preparing me for the "real world". No effort was given for realistic job placement. As an English major,I had no desire to be a teacher so I felt like I was just shrugged off and left with no direction. My major has essentially been useless.

responseMay I ask are you disapointed because you saw all that bickering and drama at your particular school whereas you had this image of Hillsdale as being beyond that? Becasue I can almost assure you that any college has that problem. Your college is not unique. Your major is not useless. English is a very important field of study so dont get discouraged or regret majoring in it,ever. The whole job placement problem is not unique to your college. Im very sorry about your experience. have you thought of going into print journalism? I wish you the best.
Compare HillsdaleSave Hillsdale