StudentsReview :: Hope College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityB Extra CurricularsB
SafetyA-
Friendly, Approachable, Closeminded

ACT:27
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #009704; line-height:80px';float:left;
Social Life
B
Faculty Accessibility
She rated most things higher than other students did.
Date: Aug 03 2012
Major: Psychology (This Major's Salary over time)
Deciding to attend Hope was a difficult decision for me. I stumbled upon this college purely by chance, but for some reason it really drew me in. I would receive personalized phone calls, letters, and whatever else I needed my entire senior year, from employees who genuinely wanted me to attend the college—even my admissions letter commented specifically on my essay I had written for my application. I decided to take a leap of faith and go this this expensive, private, previously unknown college, and I have to say it was one of the best decisions of my life!

I'm not going to lie, the beginning was rough for me, and honestly, it has taken me over a year to fully recognize that Hope was the right college for me. I knew no one at Hope, and even though I met tons of newcomers such as myself, there are clearly "Hope families" who have family ties to the college, and who have friends before they even enroll. There also seems to be a "Christian clique" where a lot of the prominent families are organized and are a large part of campus life. However, this does not in any way get in the way of making your own friends. I lived in Dykstra my first year, and while many say that living with all girls can be dramatic, the girls I lived with during my first year have become my best friends, and people I will keep in touch with for the rest of my life. In terms of roommate placement, I know people who have had troubles, but in my case I was placed with a roommate who has been a great fit for me. I am going into my junior year, and we are planning on living together for the third year in a row.

In terms of professors, I have had the best experiences. My advisor(s) (yes, I have three advisors) are great, and when you meet with them you feel they are your personal cheerleaders. If they do not know an answer, they will call and ask. The professors are always available to meet one-on-one, and will go over tests, quizzes, and homework whenever. Classes are always very interactive, and even in the biggest class setting, professors expect questions during class, in fact they are encouraged. Honestly, there may be a few bad professors but in its entirety, the professors and advisors are exceptional, and I couldn't ask for better. Overall, Hope is a great place to set anyone up for future successes. Of course, you need to reach out for help if needed, but you are never met with anything but encouragement.

Compare HopeSave Hope