StudentsReview :: The University of Mary Washington - Extra Detail about the Comment

James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

Friendly, Arrogant, Closeminded

University Resource Use
Friendliness
A-
She cares more about Safety than the average student.
Date: Aug 31 2012
Major: Physics (This Major's Salary over time)
Just to give some background information, so you know where I'm coming from, this is me: I like most subjects, especially science and art. The only subjects I didn't like were things like language, and then only because my ADHD makes memorization/repetition difficult. I struggled a little in high school with my ADHD, but took all honors/AP classes, and ended up with a 2.95 UW and a 3.65 W GPA, and a 2100 SAT. When it comes to other people, I'm nervous but generally like people as long as they're not fake in any way. So, if you saw me from an outside perspective, you'd see a somewhat shy, scatterbrained person that liked to thoroughly understand the subjects she's taking and cracks dumb joke a lot.

Now onto UMW.

I only applied to UMW because it turned out that we couldn't afford any of the schools I was accepted into (except for VCU, but I'm not a fan of super-urban areas), and they accepted me in May, with their rolling admissions. When I went to visit, I was thoroughly underwhelmed. Everything from the buildings to the campus to the people were sort of pretty in a bland way, but very boring. However, having never visited any other campuses besides VCU, I decided that it must be a great campus and I just needed to get over myself and my expectations. That was a huge mistake, and for anyone that's deciding on colleges, how you feel on the campus is paramount. I later visited JMU and William and Mary, and loved both instantly. JMU, because it was beautiful, and the people were fun and friendly. W&M because the people seemed understated but with lots of personality under the surface, and the campus is sort of vintage and winding and beautiful. If I had visited either of these schools beforehand, I would have known instantly that UMW was wrong for me.

My real problem with this school is the people. They are politically correct to the extreme, and this is coming from someone who's deeply egalitarian and takes offense at casual use of the word 'retard'. The people are like those teenagers your see in a JC Penney magazine or something, smiling and fake and put together in the most generic possible way. In short, they're boring. I'm sure if you're a mellow, not super creative person, you'd be fine here, but it drove me insane. And people could tell I guess, because try as I might to make friends, people didn't really respond to my humor or my personality. (Ironically, I only started making friends at the local fantasy/sci-fi club meetings just as I was leaving UMW.)

Lots of things about UMW are fine. Not great, but fine. The faculty is decently nice, the classes are vaguely challenging (but really not very interesting), there's occasionally fun stuff happening on campus that's not a lame party, and there's a few fun things to do around town.

It doesn't sound that bad, but the whole lackluster, boring effect basically killed my soul. I lasted three months at this school (I could believe it was only three months, it literally felt like years), and I was very depressed for the next nine. I now go to the local community college for lack of a better option, and even that school is more interesting than UMW, despite the fact that it's like being in 6th grade (no exaggeration).

I guess my point is…if you're fun, interested in life, creative, boisterous, enthusiastic, or any combination thereof, do not go to Mary Washington. It's an awful school if you're not the right "type".

If nothing else, visit college campuses and see for yourself. Don't rely on college review sites, they're not really accurate since everyone kind of has an agenda.

Compare UMWSave UMW