StudentsReview :: Prescott College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Average
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
Campus Maintenance
C+
He cares more about Safety than the average student.
Date: Oct 09 2012
Major: Art & Design Department (This Major's Salary over time)
I amazes me that the school that taught me what the term "cultural appropriation" means so casually appropriates symbols from Native Americans! Just look at the huge petroglyph-styled spiral that everyone walks upon in the middle of campus. This is a sacred symbol to many, but here it gets walked on, spit on, biked over etc., and this is a school that claims to be culturally sensitive! This is just one of the many ways in which the school doesn't even try to walk its talk.

I believe this post to be a result of misdirected energy and a poor understanding of concepts learned in the Cultural and Regional Studies Department at PC. Even though cultural appropiation is a true phenomenon, I think that PC has taken more steps than ANY college I know to; 1.- Give students the tools to identify how they are a cause and consequence of this issue; 2.- Help them to change the ways in which they perpetuate these issues themselves and; 3.- Building support networks and projects to fight such problems on a larger scale.
I think PC is unique in the way it provides students with the space to be listened to, and to question authority in a way that proposes solutions, instead of just screaming in anger. I understand some students' frustration at realizing how systems of oppression stare at us from every single action and object around us, but I don't think they'll get anywhere by blaming th institution without which they would have never come to that understanding in the first place. I think it's a disappointing, ineffective and ungrateful response. I belive the school does a good job -if not the best- in trying to suppor minority groups with its educational model. And I would have to look very hard to find a better way of "walking the talk" than calling one of the professors who were expelled from the Ethnic Studies case in Tucson to teach at PC for a semester. I do believe, however, that the OP of this rant is a good example of a confused teenager who does not know how to walk their talk.
I'm puzzled by the response; Does the first opinion not count because the responder assumes it is from a teen, or does the responder assume it is from a teen because he/she disagrees? Either way it is an example of ageism.
responseNo your response does not count simply because you have a differing point of view! That's how they operate. I'll be paying for my "PC Mistake" for the rest of my life.
Compare PrescottSave Prescott