StudentsReview :: Green Mountain College - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyA+
Friendly, Approachable

Campus Maintenance
C+
She cares more about Excess Competition than the average student.
Date: Oct 31 2012
Major: PreLaw and Legal (This Major's Salary over time)
This is absolutely my dream school. I'm an older student, and in general older students here seem to have a better idea of what they're getting themselves into that the fresh-out-of-high school ones who came here because it's relatively nearby and has a high acceptance rate.

This is where I first learned that sustainable ag exists as something you can major in, and the administration is really following through on its commitment to be sustainable in practice. We just approved—as a community—a plan to see that all food in the dining hall is ethically and sustainably raised. We have a working farm that employs a large proportion of the students.

The school is small enough that everyone knows each other, and for the most part everyone is very respectful. I have NEVER encountered any bigotry or misogyny, and a lot of these people are surprisingly socially aware considering how young they are.

There is also a unofficial streaking team, people are allowed to be barefoot pretty much everywhere, and there are chickens running free around campus, and cats who occasionally sneak into the classrooms, dorms, and student center.

The professors are amazing, as sources of knowledge and mentors, but also as people. The classes are engaging; I have discovered and honed abilities beyond what I thought were my limits. And they will push you, but they will relent if you push back enough. Everything in my life seems to be applicable to my homework, and I keep finding myself applying newly learned skills across classes.

We are known for having a lot of stoners and hippies here, and you can get pretty much anything you want if you network in a lowkey way, but there are also plenty of straight edge folks who are completely socially accepted. The administration and the student body will support you financially and otherwise in any club or service or otherwise fun thing you want to initiate.

The residence life team was completely new this year, so they're a little clueless, but they mean well and do their absolute best to help you solve your problems. You just have to be patient, and communicate your needs very clearly (and repeatedly). If you think you can get off campus, network with people living here to find an apartment before arriving because hardly any local housing gets advertised—and what does get advertised is guaranteed to be overpriced.

It is pretty hard to get off campus and to get off the meal plan, but the food in the dining hall is definitely better than any other school I've visited or attended—and promises to only get better with the new ethical food plan.

As for the town, the people at the Co-Op and the library and the post office and the hardware store are way friendly. Not so much at the grocery store. Haven't been in the bars yet because I am pretty much always working/doing homework/in class/at a club meeting. There are only a couple bars, but the school actually built a little hangout spot for students down by the river. It's pretty cool.

Compare GMCSave GMC