StudentsReview :: Marymount University - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyA-
Friendly, Approachable

Condescending, Self Absorbed

University Resource Use
She cares more about Academic Success than the average student.
Date: Dec 18 2012
Major: Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc (This Major's Salary over time)
Overall Marymount has been a dissappointing experience for me. The school cost $30+ grand a year, when it should really only cost about $2 grand. Marymount is a glorified highschool. But I was coming back to the states from living overseas and missed alot of the deadlines to apply to other schools in the area. I'm a Graphic Design major and I noticed alot of the state schools make you wait a year to get into the GD program. The plus with Marymount is that I could start my GD coursework right away. The down side is you don't learn a thing. At least this is the way I felt. If you don't already know something about Graphic Design, don't expect to truly learn it here. I have found myself feeling frustrated because I see certain things being done in the field and we're just not learning that stuff. I want to have a killer portfolio and with what we're being taught, I don't see it happening. There's nothing being done that fosters creativity. I personally don't feel that the instructors believe in actually teaching. One of my professors actually said he was trying something new where I teach myself and then I come to class to implement what I've learned. I couldn't believe it. If I wanted to teach myself, I'd take online courses. They think lecturing and then telling you the assignment constitutes learning. I'd rather they teach us how to do the projects, vs. lecturing on why it's important. That said, I began taking supplemental courses at the local community college to make up for what i felt I was missing at Marymount and it has made all the difference. The upside is Marymount, has brand new graphic design labs that are using the most up-to-date and state of the art equipment and software. So if all else fails, you can teach yourself by viewing lessons at www.lynda.com, (my web design instructor told us we could get lessons here, as opposed to him actually teaching them I guess).
Compare MarymountSave Marymount