StudentsReview :: Sweet Briar College - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyA-
Friendly, Approachable

Campus Maintenance
C
She cares more about Useful Schoolwork than the average student.
Date: Jan 27 2013
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
You have to come into Sweet Briar with an open-mind. It's not a big school with 45,000 students where anything is possible and you're going to have thousands of types of people. You won't, so it's silly to expect it. I am a current junior here from Boston. SBC is far from home, in the middle of a rural town, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Coming from the North and being brought up in diverse areas, it was certainly a culture shock—but one I embraced with open arms. I have made so many wonderful friends. The faculty is extremely approachable and there for the students in just about every way possible. I am on a texting basis with many of the faculty/staff members here. Academics are the main priority for almost all students on campus. We work hard during the week both in the classroom, in sports, & it's not uncommon for most of us to belong to 5 clubs and lead 3 of them! There's plenty of opportunities to keep yourself busy. Lots of ladies choose to go home or to our brother school Sydney on the weekends, so it can get quiet. I understand that a few students have taken to StudentsReview to express frustrations about personal problems they may have dealt with while on campus—no college administrative process is perfect. But I hope that everyone understands that the experience of these few people is not the norm for everyone else. Sweet Briar has a lot to offer academically and definitely fosters its students. During my time here I have gained a lot of confidence and have had so much support while pursuing all of my passions. I am not afraid to fail or mess up because I know there are experienced professionals and faculty members that will help me when I need to start over. People pay attention to what you do here—your accomplishments, failures, & everything in between.
questionAre there girls of all races going to sweet Briar, and is there any feeling of prejudice being that it is a Southern school? My daughter is a California girl, and is worried there will be little diversity. She is attending an accepted students weekend in two weeks.
Compare SBCSave SBC