StudentsReview :: George Mason University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Survey is Blank
Afraid, Arrogant, Snooty, Closeminded

Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

Safety
She cares more about Campus Maintenance than the average student.
Date: Feb 02 2013
Major: Undecided (This Major's Salary over time)
I come from one of the most densely populated counties in America. Additionally, I came out of a magnet high school. Coming to college in the South, I was entering an entirely different culture. I noticed immediately that the students were significantly less intelligent than that of my hometown, and they are much more laid back, slow, and not hard working whatsoever. The students are very arrogant and snooty, a large percentage coming from very wealthy families and are handed everything in life. They are also very cliquey, which only came in two ways. By fraternities/sororities, or by ethnicity. Coming from a low middle class and learning to work for everything in life myself instead of getting everything from my parents, I am rather poor myself. I was not planning on paying $500 to join a fraternity for 2 reasons: waste of money, and I do not party. The fraternities at George Mason are VERY corrupt and I personally believe each should undergo a criminal investigation, especially Delta Chi and Sigma Chi. Another factor I did not like about this school was that there's nothing around. Anyone who says that GMU is great because it's so close to DC lies. DC is roughly an hour away and a hassle to get into. There is no surrounding town in Fairfax and you are stranded on campus. Like I said earlier, if you are not cliquey and do not want to join a frat/sorority, it is near impossible to make friends. The classes were just a complete joke. The professors were not even full time teachers, most taught as part-time jobs and worked else where. They were very unqualified for their positions, and the classes were extraordinarily easy. However, they were too deficient to even know how to grade! I should have easily gotten a 4.0 gpa but the professors gave grades arbitrarily. They offered no help to struggling students and simply didn't do their job. Also, many of the students are commuters. There seems to be more cars on campus than students, which I can never understand. Overall, George Mason University is full of BS. I deeply regret even applying there. Transferring out after one semester was the best decision I ever made in my life. I am now attending a much more prestigious university and feel sorry for anyone stuck there.
responseGonna be honest-if you consider Fairfax VA the "South" you don't know what you're talking about. It's like coming to Bethesda Maryland and saying you went to the "North". Technically, sure, but barely.
George Mason University