StudentsReview :: The University of Vermont - Extra Detail about the Comment

SAT1210
Social Life
B
A
She rated most things higher than other students did.
Date: May 11 2013
Major: Language - French/Spanish/etc. (This Major's Salary over time)
I just finished my first year at UVM, and I have been very pleased with my overall experience and all the opportunities granted to me. I identify as an ALANA Classics major, and I have received much support from the ALANA community as well as my major department. I was in the Integrated Humanities Program, where a group of 30 freshman lived together and took 3 classes a semester together (English, Religion, History) with some of the most brilliant, albeit eccentric professors at the school. The foundation of this program is on the great books of the Classical and Modern era, which we explored deeply. If you're interested at all in the humanities, I would recommend this program immensely - though do be warned it is a lot of work at times, and if you're not engaged in the readings you'll soon become disillusioned. Also IHP students tend to have a reputation for being "good students," almost on par with the Honors College kids; they also are very likely to get into the Honors College should they apply Sophomore year.

If you're an incoming freshman, I would recommend applying to a programmed housing dorm, where you will most likely be in suite living (in the Living and Learning center) with people who have the same interests as you. As I've already emphasized the academic nature of my program, these programs in general are great ways to click with people.

While the dorms are not palaces my any means (except University Heights N and S…), whenever anything broke in our suite we sent in a "fix-it" report which was taken care of within one day. The repairmen were friendly and efficient, so I have absolutely no qualms about that. Very rarely did I ever see actual vomit anywhere in my living quarters (maybe once, after the Naked Bike Ride), but in suite-style living you also have to clean your bathrooms yourself. So maybe that was part of it.

All of the professors I have had, in IHP, the Classics department, and in the few general requirement courses I've taken thus far have been very approachable and helpful.

The campus is beautiful, of course. While many of the buildings aren't new, I think they are taken care of fairly well. And the older buildings that house many of the major departments are essentially antiques - creaking floors, wood paneling and very quaint.

Since this is UVM, many people do smoke weed and drink regularly. At least where I lived though, it was not hard to find people who didn't (if you're not looking to party often - live in L/L). And I was never actually pressured to smoke or drink when I didn't want to; everyone understood and left it alone. I honestly didn't find it an issue, and only occasionally overheard very vapid conversations at a house party on the weekend. If you get into you're niche, I think you'll like the social activities on the weekends. I personally wasn't into frat parties or big keggers, but there are plenty of other low-key "parties" that you will run into if you know the right people.

I think UVM is great, and I think that those who take issues with it have not put in enough effort to discover all of the opportunities that are here. There are a ton, just do your research. Get a work-study job if you can, get to know your professors, be a TA, get involved with a club, try out a few parties.

Compare UVM/UVermontSave UVM/UVermont