StudentsReview :: California State University - San Marcos - Extra Detail about the Comment

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

Friendly

SAT1700
Useful Schoolwork
D-
He cares more about Useful Schoolwork than the average student.
Date: May 30 2013
Major: Biology (This Major's Salary over time)
I am a Biology major with a emphasis in physiology and a minor in chemistry. I am premed and I am applying to medical school next summer (2014). My professors have really helped me on my path and I have learned a ridiculous amount of information throughout my college career. I am currently studying for the MCAT and I feel as though my classes at CSUSM have really prepared me for the test.

There are great opportunities that I have made sure to take advantage of at CSUSM. I do research for a professor on campus which has really helped me on my journey. My research deals with locating a specific gene in bacteria that is responsible for biosynthesis of a particular hormone of intrest.

If you are a science major, there is extensive support to help you achieve success in your classes. There is a supplemental instructor assigned to notoriously difficult classes. This instructor sets up multiple meeting times per week to discuss and practice what has been taught in class. Furthermore, there is a STEM center which is a place you can go from 9-5 every day to receive help in physics, biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, math, computer science, etc. You do not need an appointment, all you have to do is show up with your questions and be ready to work. I am a tutor at this center and I myself receive help here which has really helped me in my classes.

This is a great school that not too many people really know about. I would definitely recommend this school, especially for prospective STEM majors. Although one of the few problems I have with CSUSM is it is still some what of a commuter school. I still have had a great social life with plenty of fun.

Compare CSUSM/CalState-San MarcosSave CSUSM/CalState-San Marcos