StudentsReview :: Occidental College - Extra Detail about the Comment

University of Southern Colorado -- Pueblo, CO
Vanguard University of Southern California -- Costa Mesa, CA

Alumni Survey

Date: Jun 22 2013
Major: Biology (This Major's Salary over time)
Not a wise investment. If OXY claims to have a rigorous curriculum, then they should be accepting students who have a strong writing and academic background, instead of focusing too much on their character or recommendations. Some students, like myself, left OXY due to its academic difficulty which in fact frustrated the Dean of Students. The administration is oppressive and office of admissions needs improvement. They should completely drop the Comps/Thesis requirement for seniors since it overemphasizes too much writing. Over the years, I spoke to some OXY grads and they acknowledge having regrets of attending the school due to its high demands of the professors and the Comps/Thesis requirement. Don't let the campus beauty and marketing fool you. It is true that classes are small, but professors expect a whole lot from the students even though they might take them out to lunch or dinner. It seems like professors don't care of the students' success because some have been questioned about testing on material never discussed in class. Some make students submit lengthy papers(15-20 pages) on the day of the 3 hour FINAL EXAM. I wished I had gone to a UC school or a private school like LMU or USD instead of OXY in the first place. Most of the students are friendly. However, they have gotten moody possibly due to academic stress. In a tight knit school, students would want to know too much of others, leading to nosy behavior, and engage in gossip. My freshmen roommate was bothered because I was not in a relationship and I used to work on my papers weeks in advance instead of few days before the due date. After I transferred out of OXY, he probably realized that I was not at the right school. At a big school, which I transferred to, there are tons of majors to choose from and students are more independent. Most students who leave OXY end up transferring to a state school which also operates on a semester system, which happened in my case. My grades at OXY prevented me from transferring to another private school or a UC. If you have plans in attending OXY, please take the time to research the school and pay close attention to freshmen retention and the school's expectations. Remember, you will be making the most important decision of your life !! It might be wise or a regrettable one !!
Compare OccidentalSave Occidental