StudentsReview :: Sweet Briar College - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyA
Friendly, Arrogant, Approachable, Snooty, Closeminded

D+
Faculty Accessibility
She cares more about Social Life than the average student.
Date: Jul 25 2013
Major: Undecided (This Major's Salary over time)
I'm a rising sophomore at Sweet Briar (Class of 2016). For years I had actually wanted to go to another school, but in a search for back-up schools at the beginning of my senior year of high school, I found Sweet Briar. It really captured my attention, and it ended up becoming my first choice school.

Honestly, Sweet Briar isn't for everyone. Admissions definitely sugarcoats things. Some people don't like the fact that there are no guys. Others don't like the lack of diversity. I know a few people that left because Sweet Briar didn't have a program they wanted to pursue. Some people just don't like the rurality of it all (and when they don't bring a car, it doesn't help much). For me, however, the school is perfect. You've just got to go in with an open mind.

There is one major thing I do dislike, and that is the dining hall's food. It's very hit or miss. A lot of the times the food is lukewarm or cold. There are days, however, that the food tastes amazing, and you want to eat 30 plates. Food is especially tasty on accepted applicant days/open houses (surprise, surprise), and food is the worst on weekends since so many students leave for the weekend. Despite my grievances towards the dining hall, in my experience, they are very willing to work with you to solve any problems you may have.

In my experience, the pros outweigh the cons. I love the small student population; it really creates a close-knit community feel. Some people, however, won't like that. It's one of those campuses where if you do something stupid, everyone will know about it the next day; rumors also spread quickly. Coming from a small town and high school, however, I was used to this. The small class sizes are also a huge plus. You get to know your classmates and your professors. Some classes even become like a family. It's a great experience, and strangely enough, to be sad at the end of a semester because you'll be done with a certain class is a good thing; you'll feel accomplished and satisfied, and you'll have some great friends. On the other hand, there will be classes you will be thanking the heavens that you never have to go to again. Not all of the professors are good, and not all of the work is easy. At points, your workload will feel impossible (especially during finals week). I feel like that is something that would happen at every college, though. The campus aesthetics are amazing. Everything is so beautiful all of the time. If you're the kind of person who doesn't like/appreciate nature and rural areas, you might not like it so much.

So, some people hate Sweet Briar, but some people, like me, could never imagine being at another school. Everyone has their own experiences and opinions. It's up to you to decide whether this is the school for you. Just do your research, and if you decide to come, come in with an open mind. I can't make any promises that you'll find the school amazing, but if you do, you won't regret it.

Compare SBCSave SBC