StudentsReview :: George Mason University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arrogant, Snooty

Condescending, Unhelpful

Academic Success
C+
She cares more about University Resource Use than the average student.
Date: Aug 21 2013
Major: Other (This Major's Salary over time)
Mason is a commuter school. Campus is completely dead on the weekends, no people and no food. There is no college town and very little to do and traffic is stopped from 7-9am and 4-7pm so good luck commuting.

Students are unfriendly and if you're looking to make friends you'll need to either be a minority or join a snooty and expensive sorority or fraternity that is a complete joke. Greek life is the only way to find parties, not that you would really want to go anyways because the only people who show up are like 10 frat guys and 20 cliquey sorority girls who will straight look down on you just for not being in one. Not that they're even nice to each other. I've met several people who've dropped their greek status because the people are just awful and it's not at all worth the money.

I've had good Professors and bad. I've found that I can't find most of them on ratemyprof. so I often have to go in blind. Honestly I don't feel like I've learned much. I feel like I'm paying a lot of money for very little relevant education.

Parking is atrocious. The rates are ridiculous and they continue to go up every year. They oversell spaces so if you do commute its fairly likely that you wont find a spot even though you've paid between $300-$600 for a parking pass. The university also likes to change the rules and prices of parking tickets and restrict spaces without notifying you, but of course you're held responsible for just knowing. They basically force you to park somewhere that you're not sure is allowed (because they don't mark it well or make an appropriate number of spaces available) out of desperation and then ticket you for it. I've even gotten tickets for parking in spaces that were completely allowed and I literally had to fight my way up to the top of parking services to find someone who would actually listen to me.

And god forbid you ever have a problem that you need to talk with one of the university offices about. Mason has screwed me over several times and whenever I've tried to go and work the issue out the staff has been completely unwilling to help me. I've had people on multiple occasions tell me that they don't know any of the procedures for their office and that there's no one else I can talk to. They treat you like a number and just want you out of their hair ASAP. They will do anything they can to screw you out of your money and do not care at all about any problems you are having with them.

Many of the dorms are falling apart and infested with mildew or rodents and are very slow to be renovated. Also if you happen to be stuck in one of these decrepit rooms you'll be paying the same amount of money as the person who is living in the brand new dorms.

My first year here I was amazed at how many people transferred after just one semester. Now I wish I had done the same. George Mason doesn't care at all about the happiness of its students and will inconvenience you an multiple occasions for their unnecessary renovations or closing down part of campus or entire parking lots full of spaces that students need for events that nobody attends.

Mason is a joke. Unless you're an international student or a commuter who isn't interested in having anything related to the college experience Mason is not for you.

George Mason University