StudentsReview :: The University of Minnesota - Duluth - Extra Detail about the Comment

College of Notre Dame of Maryland -- Baltimore, MD

SafetyC
Arrogant, Snooty, Closeminded

Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

C+
She cares more about Extra Curriculars than the average student.
Date: Aug 28 2013
Major: Social Work (This Major's Salary over time)
Pretty much everything about this campus was wrong. I gave them the benefit of doubt and stuck it out for two semesters and a summer session. I was originally an American Indian Studies Major thinking I could do good things to help my people and other tribes. I have since changed my major to social work and transferred to a different school.

Well let me tell you about residental life on-campus. It sucks. Also good luck on finding off-campus housing thats reasonable when you don't have anyone helping you. I moved into one of the apts and had roommates from hell. They were snobby, rude, and thought they owned the place. I wasn't welcomed to use the shared space like living room and bathroom. I ended up moving to a friend's house which was an hours drive away.

Also I felt the diversity was lacking. I took a sociology class about race and ethnicities and I was the only minority student in the class! Also the place felt very high school like and even childish. Not many students grew up after the 12th grade.

Administration was horrible. I had to wait 6 weeks after disbursement to receive my financial aid, when I did everything I was supposed to. I became pregnant over the summer and they thought I became disabled! Also their American Indian Center became a joke. It was my understanding that they are supposed to feel inclusive of everyone. Not really the case there. The people there are very judgmental and question your thoughts and opinions.

As for the professors, I did find a couple who were genuinely nice and courteous. But a lot of them are very self-absorbed. I had two different professors shoot me down or ignore me all together when I tried to contribute to discussions. In one class I felt like I knew more than the professor! Now I don't care what racial background the professor is when talking about American Indian people. However, I think one should spend a little time within the communities before you start lecturing about them.

After careful consideration I not only switched schools but switched majors. This school has caused a lot of headache and would tell someone else to seriously consider other options.

Compare UMN/UMinn-DuluthSave UMN/UMinn-Duluth