StudentsReview :: Walden University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arrogant, Unhelpful

Faculty Accessibility
Useful Schoolwork
C
He cares more about Safety than the average student.
Date: Sep 16 2013
Major: Communications (This Major's Salary over time)
In the 2009 Economic Crisis I was laid off and decided to finally obtain my undergraduate degree. The first two years were somewhat of a breeze with little to no problems. The intense quarter based schedule has you in school 48 weeks out of the year, and although the school may be closed on holidays your assignments are still due. There is not really any instructor who leads the class rather it is up to the student to understand the required materials. I took a leave of absence due to being burned out from working and school for 2 years non stop. I was instructed by my advisor to start the process of returning one month prior to the start date, which I did in February. During that process I contacted Financial Aid and submitted all of the required items. 2 weeks prior to the quarter I called and asked for an update, which I was informed they would escalate my case which takes 10 business days. I expressed concerns that I couldn't start the quarter or commit to taking a class without my financial aid. After 15 business days, and now in March, there was still no update on my financial aid, thus I withdrew from the course and called financial aid for a third time. When I called financial aid complaining that the email they provided me stated I would have it returned in 10 days, which never was and was told that I never registered for that class and I wasn't awarded my financial aid because I dropped the class and now I would have to restart the whole process.

After speaking with 3 financial aid officers who gave me 3 different answers I demanded I speak with their superior. After talking to the superior he really wasn't much help either. Thus I finally said 'Why can't I use the money I was awarded to take for the previous quarter now since I took a Leave of Absence?" The next day he calls me to tell me the good news they can use the money from the previous years FASFA. I finally get this good news in April 2 months later, but it also comes with bad news that my FASFA needs to go through the verification process to verify information matches my tax information. When I asked why nobody has informed or contacted me in regards to the verification process, I was told that they will be soon. Well the email never came nor was I ever informed or contacted and I did not receive the paperwork needed until near the end of June when I called them. Well now during this time I start to have a medical relapse, which led to me failing a required class for the 2nd time, ultimately leading to me being dismissed from the University. Although I did receive the first warning via email, I never once had an advisor call me to talk about anything. Now it is September and I call my advisor to ask her / tell her I still have not received my awards yet after nearly 7-8 months of me calling and emailing and calling and emailing some more. This is when she looks into my account (20 mins after we have been talking) and tells me that I am going to be dismissed because I failed 2 classes. I asked her what my options were, how to go about it and when I would be notified. She tells me it will be any day now, but the reality is it already happened she was just too lazy to read the computer screen or the information on my account. I sent an email asking what I should do now, and she informs me I need to contact my enrollment advisor to discuss the process / options I need to take to re-enroll with the University. Well I emailed back asking how I could find out whom this enrollment advisor is, but she has failed to even respond to me.

All in all this school is a joke if I hadn't completed so many courses I would have transfered out. Now I have all this debt, no degree so I contemplate whether I should endure the year and a half I have left, but part of me doesn't want to return to this marketing monopoly.

As for Walden's reviews there will be the good with the bad and neutral, but if you want the truth about the school then just look at their retention rate. Search Walden University Retention Rate and you will see it is one of the worst in the country and it is no secret that Walden is a for-profit-university investing almost double the amount per student on recruitment than in the class. We need to start a class action lawsuit against them for their lack of doing anything for students and when questioned deny and lie about everything.

University of Guelph (Canada) 1:neutral