StudentsReview :: Old Dominion University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Helpful, Condescending

Useful Schoolwork
C+
Faculty Accessibility
She cares more about Useful Schoolwork than the average student.
Date: Nov 14 2013
Major: Computer Science (This Major's Salary over time)
I've been at ODU for a semester now. I live on campus and I can say that although the University has some flaws, the positives definitly outweigh the negatives.

First, I must start off with the fact that ODU is a MIXED school. Because ODU is situated in the tidewater region, there are many ethnicities and races that are here.

Academics:

Academically, it really matters what major you're doing. I'm a Computer Science major, and some of my main classes are pretty challenging. I haven't really had a problem with getting assistance or help though, my teachers are always available for assistance, and the writing center/tutoring center is always open if you need help with an assignment. On top of all this, the library is open 24 hours, 5 days a week, so if you have a loud roommate or something, you have somewhere to study or do your homework. There really is no excuse for not doing your work or not passing with all this.

Faculty:

Sometimes, I have great teachers that know what theya re doing, and sometimes I have some college grad who doesn't know what the hell they're doing, and they make the classes very confusing. That's how it was for my STEM class atleast. This teacher (who could barely speak proper English) was put in charge and didn't even know how to teach the class. It started getting frustrated because she didn't go by her schedule that she gave us. I passed the class because I just did my work (and she was kicked) but it was very annoying. On the other hand though, some ODU teachers can be great and are very helpful.

HOUSING:

Housing at ODU honestly isn't the best. I'm a freshman, so i'm staying in Rogers hall main, and they threw me in a triple. It isn't as bad as it could be because my roommates are really nice(because of the ODU roommate matching system), but it is very cramped gets hot and cold depending on the weather outside. This really annoys me because me and my roommates have been told that this is "temporary" and will only last for "half a semester", but one of us still hasn't gotten out, and these rooms are designed for TWO PEOPLE, so it's much smaller then it needs to be. ALSO, the bathrooms are disgusting, mold is growing on the floor in our bathroom, and there's no drain, so after you take a shower, the water is just a big puddle on the bathroom floor. The toilet broke multiple times (in one occasion the person couldn't make it to fix it until a day later) and toilet paper holders break off, and don't even get me started with the room itself. If you can, commute, but there aren't much parking spots left from what I hear (which is what drove me to living on campus).

SOCIAL:

There are alot of things to do on campus. The Webb Center is THE place to go to socialize. There the cafe, pool tables, and many other events are hosted. Also, ODU has a plethora clubs you can take part in. There are many clubs for many different people you can join to get yourself out there more. As for off campus, it's a whole different, Ever since the shooting that happened in the beginning of the school year, there really isn't much unless you want to take chances and walk into the hood and get wasted at a house party. ODU IS NOT a party school, there are never any good parties, and when there are some, they are eventually shut down by the police.

SAFETY:

Lately, people have complained about how "unsafe" ODU is. But in my opinion, ODU has its problems with crimes. It is situated in the middle of the hood so of course these problems are going to be here, but it is up to you to not act like a moron and pull the crooks to you. Most the time when people are robbed here on campus, they either don't think about what they are doing, or they're in a place they shouldn't be

In the end, ODU has it's bad parts, and its good parts.

POSITIVES:

• diverse demographics
  • decent academics
  • great campus
  • amazing social activites
  • NEGATIVES:

• not much to do off campus
  • completely dead on the weekends
  • insufficient housing for new students
  • bad teachers (sometimes)
  • horrible housing
  • Ask a Question or add a response!
    Compare ODUSave ODU