StudentsReview :: The University of Minnesota Twin Cities - Extra Detail about the Comment

University of Wisconsin -- Madison, WI

Condescending, Unhelpful

ACT:30
SAT2090
A
She cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Date: Feb 19 2014
Major: Unknown (This Major's Salary over time)
The University of Minnesota is nothing but a giant bureaucracy. I am shocked by the level of rude ineptitude they faculty here seems to possess. The professors are friendly, not all are approachable, but most are decent, although some are absolutely AWFUL and don't seem to know what they are talking about; I will say that the math department here SUCKS. I'm talking that some of the professors do not even understand the material; my math 1151 professor spent half of lectures trying to teach himself the material we were learning. The main issue is that the onestop officers and department faculty (ESPECIALLY CLA!!!!! AVOID CLA- IT IS A WASTE OF TIME) are incredibly rude, condescending, and seem like they enjoy being unhelpful. I had a onestop employee actually laugh at me while she told me that she could no longer help me out. College is stressful as it is, and you don't need the people that are employed to help you actually making your life more difficult.

School spirit here is virtually nonexistent, unless you are Greek and go their tailgates; even then, the low level of spirit is still sad. Most people didn't really like it here, although there were some that didn't hate it, you didn't get that

I love my school and I want to be here
feeling that many college campuses (Wisconsin, Michigan State, many southern, etc) have.
UMN is okay if you just want to commute and get a degree, but if you want the rich college experience, it is not the place for you. I'm transferring to Wisconsin next year, and have spent a few weekends up there, and the difference in the atmosphere is overwhelming. Students seem much happier and much more excited to be there. I would advise attending elsewhere, especially since this school is so expensive.

questionI'm going to be a freshman at the U next year and I was just about to confirm my enrollment until I read this! Are the CLA advisers really that bad!? And the atmosphere on campus??
responseThis is a very biased review. I'm currently a freshman here and although I have a slightly different point of a view because of being in the Carlson School of Management I believe this reviewer just might not be a good fit for the U. I came here all worried about the atmosphere, the campus is great and the people are even better. I recommend living in 17th Ave or the Super Block because it's where it's more lively on campus. There is tons of school spirit..and I'm not even Greek and I can say that. The campus is definitely more alive in the fall with football games then the spring though..mainly because of the cold..but then we get hockey and basketball which are both phenomenal!

To answer the CLA question…CLA kind of does have a rep here for being lackluster depending on your major. From what I've heard most of the advisors are decent, in fact I've only heard praises from my friends about them. The other schools are slightly smaller and your adviser will probably be a little nicer too though. Honestly do not base your opinion off of one review where someone is obviously just not fitting in..that is my advice!

Compare UMN/UMTCSave UMN/UMTC