StudentsReview :: Washington State University - Vancouver - Extra Detail about the Comment

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Social Life
D
Faculty Accessibility
A
He cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Date: Jul 20 2014
Major: History/Histories (art history/etc.) (This Major's Salary over time)
I am conflicted about my time at WSU.

I enjoyed the work, and the faculty and staff were very friendly and professional. I gained some skills and professional growth during my time there, working with student groups and organizing events.

Unfortunately WSU does not put any real effort into helping former students find work, or really emphasize career preparation/internships at all for non-technical majors.

As I write this I have been looking for work for over two years. I've written countless resumes and cover letters, and applied to hundreds of positions, from proof reader to office assistant to janitor, and I can count on one hand the number of non-automated responses I've received.

WSU's career services are a bad joke. I don't know where to begin in describing just how much of a waste of time going to them for advice was, so I'll leave that be.

I don't blame WSU for everything, but I do think they owe it to their students to better prepare them for their careers. They need to get more internship opportunities and more employers connecting with students, stop giving students outdated advice that only worked before the recession, stop sending people to worthless agencies like campuspoint, and at the very least, fix the broken links on the career services web page.

My advice to anyone going in, try to minimize the amount of time/money you commit to the school. Create a plan for what you want to do professionally, research it to see if it's feasible, and stick to it; the WSU brand isn't prestigious enough to wow potential employers, so if you can get your training cheaper somewhere else, go for it. Rest assured the school will drop you like a sack of badgers as soon as you are no longer a source of profit for them.

Washington State University - Vancouver