StudentsReview :: Azusa Pacific University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityF Extra CurricularsF
SafetyB-

Unhelpful

Excess Competition
He cares more about Campus Maintenance than the average student.
Date: Nov 14 2014
Major: Computer Science (This Major's Salary over time)
I went via their online program for working adults, and was in a "cohort" that takes one class at a time online, for 5 weeks, then the nexty class starts. Everyone is auto enrolled in each class, and the books are mailed to you, and you are billed accordingly. Each week we have one homework assignment, one quiz, and one "forum post" to make. The forum posts are a significant portion of the grade, and to get full credit we have to reply to the posts of others. The Quizzes are just ripped straight from study guides available on the internet, word for word, there is no lectures, only powerpoints taken directly from the textbook. The teachers do nothing but grade your work and they take their sweet time doing so.

I want to withdraw from the program.

I am not happy with the way the program works. Maybe I had a misunderstanding on what it was supposed to be, but I expected to be taught something. The majority of the classes provide no instruction whatsoever. The only materials are the book, and the powerpoint slide show that is provided by the book. The instructors are basically glorified teaching assistants, all they do is grade papers (slowly I might add) and never actually teach anything. Also, the requirement for posting in the forums, by making it such a huge part of the grade, you took away any sincerity in the posts. Almost every post I received was a

I agree with this post
type of reply. It is forced, and not believeable.

I guess I expected more from a Private Christian University, but all I got was content drawn directly from the book, which anyone could have done. I don't feel like sending money to a college for not doing any teaching. I expected something like video recorded lectures, with real professors really teaching something, not reading from published slides. I can't in good conscience send any more money to a place that treats their students like cash cows and sucks them of their money, while expecting them to teach themselves, all for a piece of paper that says we learned stuff aka a Degree.

responseI made the mistake of attending APU for just my freshman year and transferred out because in the traditional program, the instructors didn't teach anything. I had to teach myself the material. I felt like I was in high school all over again at APU and had a much better experience somewhere else.
Azusa Pacific University