StudentsReview :: Bennington College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityF Extra CurricularsB
SafetyB

Useful Schoolwork
A
She cares more about Surrounding City than the average student.
Date: Dec 02 2014
Major: Music - Composition/Theory (This Major's Salary over time)
I transferred to Bennington after a year at University of Vermont, then graduated in 2005. A couple of things drew me to Bennington. I was trying to get away from having to take prerequisites, because the "English 101"-type classes at UVM were boring and designed for average-to-mediocre students. Unfortunately, due to lack of planning, I didn't have the high school grades to get into a more competitive school. Nowadays so many college applicants are groomed and coached years in advance on a pre-college strategy by their parents but it wasn't like that for me. I was also trying to get away from the anonymity of a large school. I thought it would be easier to make friends at Bennington. Now, 9 years later, my main issue is that I went into huge debt to go to Bennington, then graduated into a recession with little to no job prospects. If I could sit my 18-year-old self down and say Don't take on that debt, I would. It's possible to be creative, make art, join bands, study photography, etc etc, without going to a highly expensive college. Also, I really wish I'd pushed myself out of rural Vermont to go to an urban campus. The isolation of the campus could be depressing.
Compare BenningtonSave Bennington