StudentsReview :: Old Dominion University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Afraid, Broken Spirit, Snooty

SAT1420
Campus Maintenance
A
She cares more about Academic Success than the average student.
Date: Jan 23 2017
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
Garbage school. In high-school my classmates knew this school as Over Dose University, or Old Dirty University. I took a tour and thought it was a great college, and was happy it was slightly cheaper than other schools I was looking at AND that it was within an hours drive from where I grew up. I give props to ODU for building up the campus, but the most important aspect of any school is the faculty and the students. Faculty is great as far as professors go, but the students are another story. Also getting a job on campus is centered around giving black students first priority. In order to try and correct the 'white preference' the country has had so long for jobs, ODU has taken the stance of giving 'black preference' for jobs. This still isn't equality, so the justification is ridiculous. 95% of the jobs here on campus are held by black students. So if you're white and looking to work on campus, think again.

When I first started attending I was high spirited and tried to socialize with a lot of the other students. I made a lot of acquaintances where when I pass-by we'll give a what's up to each other, but for the most part I don't have a social circle here because many of those students drove back home to VA-Beach to hang out with their life-long friends in their hometown area.

Well, 2nd year in and I absolutely hate it here. Most students don't talk or socialize, and generally most people look depressed on any given day walking around campus. Have fun trying to find your clique. Joining a club or sport is your best bet. Because of the massive amounts of Black students, Chinese students, and students from other areas of the world you're going to have a tough time finding the small group of people who both share your interests and are engaging. Just finding friends within my race isn't what I was going for, I love talking to like-minded people no matter their race. Sadly most black students talk like they just smoked a blunt and never attended an English class, and most international students I don't relate to well. I have friends all colors of the rainbow, and my closest friend on campus happens to be Bangladesh.

As a white guy, most other white guys here are in ROTC, engineering, or computer science. As for the engineering and computer science guys, most of them keep to themselves (to play computer games in the Webb center or back in their dorms) or know each other from their major-based clubs. The ROTC guys stick together with other ROTC guys of course. If you join a frat then you might have a better chance at having a social circle, but most guys in any given frat are fragmented and they only go to formal parties and events together but for the most part they hang out in separate circles. These separate circles often are from people that went to high school together. On top of that, most frats at ODU are low-class.

IF you're black or an international student you might have a better time at this school because it will be easy to find a black-only club for men, or black-only for women or a 'Vietnamese only' club. As for us white guys, there's no white-only club, because that would be racist of course. There's no white-only frat, but there's plenty of black-only frats. As a black student, there are an endless amount of blacks that are fresh from the ghetto, cramming up the webb center commons and they're unable to talk proper English and wearing clothes that look like they should be put on a 400lb man instead of a 115lb twig, wobbling down the sidewalk. There's a small segment of black folks who are well mannered, well dressed, and well spoken- but the majority here should not have even been admitted into the university. At night, they congregate in groups by the 100's and cram themselves into cubicle rooms, chanting songs at parties in apartments around campus. Their local trash parties draw in all the local garbage as well, bringing in lots of shootings, stabbings, and muggings into the streets around ODU at night.

Most students here are indifferent, and plenty of students go to class then drive back to their parents house in the surrounding VA-Beach area.

All in all, this is a low class school and I regret my choice to attend ODU. I will never see college as the best time of my life due to my dismal experience here at Old Dirty University. I'm only keeping my sanity by grabbing a part time job off of campus, going to toastmasters, and playing in a kickball league off of campus. I'm excited to graduate and leave this school and to get into the work-force.

Compare ODUSave ODU